Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 06:15 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default 10NL 6max--is there any way to avoid this

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP ($10.20)
CO ($10)
Button ($11.70)
SB ($5.85)
Hero ($9.90)
UTG ($8.20)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls $0.10, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.5</font>, UTG calls $0.50, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($1.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1.6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $9.3</font>, UTG calls $6 (All-In).

River: ($18.40) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $18.40

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9h 3s (two pair, nines and threes).
UTG has 7s 9s (two pair, nines and sevens).
Outcome: UTG wins $16.70. Hero wins $1.70. </font>

I'm not at all experienced with 6-max, so I'm going to need a little bit of help here. Is the flop bet with TPNK that bad, and is the push on the turn bad?

I had just sat down, so no reads and no table image.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: 10NL 6max--is there any way to avoid this

Flop is bad. Too many drawing hands call you and you won't know where you will stand on the turn......
Old 10-07-2007, 06:44 PM

yeah, 2pr from the big blind drives me crazy. It never seems to hold up.

You've got to ask yourself why you're getting action. They know you could have anything, and they're saying they're ahead of the range that likes this flop and turn. Remember, you're playing their cheap-flop game on this hand, rather than the 4xbb-preflop-raise game you and I are used to.

Everyone got into this flop cheap, so they could have anything: 68, 46, 33, 55, 77 could all be expected. Even if you're not up against one of those, there are better two pairs or a pocket pair that beats you when another 5 hits on the river...

I've started going into calldown mode with this sort of weak BB 2pr against certain opponents in certain situations. I might have called the turn minraise, and he probably would have checked to you on this river for a cheap showdown. I don't mind winning a midsize pot when I saw the flop for free. Greed is not a good thing at 10nl; you can wait for a hand that crushes opponents range.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:47 PM

oh, I've discovered that you can checkraise this flop at 25nl and get the hand over with. He 3bets you if he really hit, and you're out cheap. That's also good to discourage cbets against you.

Obviously, against a bunch of limpers, you're not expecting a bet this time.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:53 PM

UTG is likely limping with a suited connector or a small/medium pocket pair (probably not a big hand at these stakes). So when he raises the turn you are probably beating less than half of his range - he could have two pair, a straight, or a set. So I wouldn't shove over him here.

Also at these stakes villains almost never raise a flush draw on the turn, so I don't think you should worry about pricing him out of a draw. It definitely looks like he has a made hand. I would call and fold to a large bet on the river.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:10 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

All right, thanks guys--I guess I'll try a check-raise next time on the flop, and avoid the awkward push.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:23 AM

These villains will suck out with overpairs alot of the time though.