Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Re: How to play a combo draw?

Playing drawing hands out of position is a good way to lose money quickly. I would muck this in EP. Is this game 6 max or full ring? Do you have any reads on your opponent? If you use the hand convertor it allows us to give you much better advice.

One big problem with check raising the preflop raiser is what happens if he pushes over top. Pot is $21 on the flop. You check, he bets $15, you raise to $60, he pushes and you're calling 130ish?
Now if you bet $15 or $20, he raises, he's the one that has to call the last pot sized bet.

So, in short, bet - three bet, supply us with reads / hand history / stack sizes.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:42 AM

Playing marginal hands from the blinds is bad. I've lost waaay too much money because of "pot odds" in those spots. My new rule is to not play any hands from blinds that I wouldn't from UTG. Also to call less and raise more when I do play.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:48 AM

I'd always check it to the raiser. Betting out does not disguise your hand, it defines it. You are essentially saying: "I have some type of hand, but I really want to take the pot now, so I really don't have that big of a hand". I make it a point to raise any one that openbets in to me on the flop if I am the preflop aggressor (with some restrictions obviously).

I would rather not go to the felt with this hand, because there is a chance you are dominated, you only have your baby flush and 7's (and perhaps 6's) as outs so you really don't have much of hand. I would check raise the original raiser but fold if any of the other players raise or reraise before me.

Also I think a check call is good because if he raises your checkraise you will have to play the rest of the hand OOP again, so that kinda sucks. I would checkraise pot if other players are not in the pot, otherwise call. And if you call even if it is heads up I think you will not be giving up much of an edge.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:51 AM

douche
Old 05-05-2006, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to disrespect you or anything, but you are playing very small stakes, i don't think the strategies are similar at NL25 and Nl200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus.

I think Andrews advice is spot on, fwiw.

Later bro,

Ojo_Rojo
Old 05-05-2006, 11:22 AM

Arito : It genereally accepted that most of the time your pair of sevens is not the best hand. You are almost exactly even money against AA, KK, TPTK or QQ. In fact the only hand that the preflop can have that has you in trouble is top set, which is relatively unlikely. The crux of this hand is whether or not your opponent will fold his overpair, either before or after you hit your flush / 2pair / trips.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they are capable of laying down an overpair bet three bet. If they will pay you off when your flush hits, check call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perfect advice, this should have been the end of the thread. If NL1000/200/25 differ, it is only because of the different players. Yes more players will pay you off at NL25, but which type is your opponent? If you don't know that, why not?
Old 05-05-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If they are capable of laying down an overpair bet three bet. If they will pay you off when your flush hits, check call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to disrespect you or anything, but you are playing very small stakes, i don't think the strategies are similar at NL25 and Nl200.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread:

Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Arito : It genereally accepted that most of the time your pair of sevens is not the best hand. You are almost exactly even money against AA, KK, TPTK or QQ. In fact the only hand that the preflop can have that has you in trouble is top set, which is relatively unlikely. The crux of this hand is whether or not your opponent will fold his overpair, either before or after you hit your flush / 2pair / trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... yes obviously. But the point I was trying to make but failed in was that if he continues this hand by simply calling it, it will be hard for him to either continue after the turn if a blank comes or get value from a flush if he hits that. At 200NL (unlike 25NL and 50NL) players will generally slow down when a third of a flush turns or if it pairs the board (if they don't have it obviously).

So I think by reraising hard on the flop he can:

1. Take the pot there
2. Indicate strength (TP) and thus get paid off on a flush or trips later
3. Get information on what villain is holding.

Calling allows you to get away from the hand pretty easily but I think there is a decent chance that villain doesn't even have anything but is simply c-betting.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:08 PM

Ok,i forgot to mention, that this is 6max.
No reads yet, i recently joined the table and i slightly cover the raiser who has a little less than full buy-in.

So, the main advice i got from all the replies is "fold preflop, but as played - check-raise with check-calling in second place"?

And yea, he has a set of TT on this one....
Closed Thread