Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Tips to get \"Shredded\" for summer

Here's one link:
Soy
Old 04-18-2007, 04:54 PM

Anklebreaker: Post more even if you never have anything to say. Your avatar is that hot.

CB4S: [ QUOTE ]
Interesting you mention staying away from soy protein as much as possible. I just started eating vegetarian this year, so a good portion of the protein in my diet has been soy. Are you saying it's not effective for gaining muscle mass? Or are there negative side effects associated with it? Could you link to some of the research that you mentioned? If I stay away from soy protein, what should I look to eat instead? More dairy? More of other types of beans? I appreciate the great advice you've given already, and thanks in advance for helping me out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Soy has some conflicting studies on it. It appears to be not really very good for you. The problem is you have some people who are pro vegan who fight and point at some studies and you have some people who are anti-vegan and have studies. For the most part dead, thremp, ankle sum it up fairly well. I'm not sure it's the kill you soon thing that some people would say, but it's certainly not a magic health bullet by any means.

If your going vegan (and I'll admit I don't know many of the "rules" of what you can and can't eat) it would probably be best to try and minimize your soy protein intake as best as you can. I don't see why whey or casein protein powder would be something you can't eat.

Out of curiosity: Did you go vegan to be "healthy" or was it a personal choice about how you feel of the treatment of animals? If it's A, Thremp is pretty much right. If it's B, you can definitely be vegan and still build muscle mass, be lean, all that good stuff. It just might be a bit more difficult.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the PM's, I've been putting this info to good use.

Excellent post!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Your welcome.

Now everyone who is trying to "cut up" for summer start drinking water. Your metabolism can dip by 3% if you are even slightly dehydrated.