Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 09:14 PM

Default bodog 10/20

Bodog 10/20 9 handed

I have 66 MP, limp call a $90 from the button, two other callers one behind on in front of me, 4 way to the flop

My read on the button raiser is hes a tight passive-yet-overplaying idiot like everyone in the game.

$2200 stack, pf raiser covers

Flop is: 2 3s 4s

I check call $300, HU to turn

Turn: 6s, check check

Hmm thats weird thought hed bet, maybe AA/KK no spade

River: 4

I bet $700 he smooth calls with AsQs

How did I mess this up. I figure I should get raised here about 100% of the time. Am I crazy? Check raise river +EV?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:15 PM

Default Re: bodog 10/20

"My read on the button raiser is hes a tight passive-yet-overplaying idiot like everyone in the game."

I like a river overbet/push, then
Old 09-01-2006, 09:30 PM

eh, i dunno. i dont think overpairs call massive river bets on that board unless he's a complete calling station. there's a difference between calling a too much and "overplaying." (i find even the biggest overplaying donkeys are able to release an overpair on the river facing an overbet with a paired, 4 straight possible flush board) i think a little less than the pot is fine on the river. there's no way you can put him on an ace high flush here. don't be results oriented
Old 09-01-2006, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bodog 10/20 9 handed

I have 66 MP, limp call a $90 from the button, two other callers one behind on in front of me, 4 way to the flop

My read on the button raiser is hes a tight passive-yet-overplaying idiot like everyone in the game.

$2200 stack, pf raiser covers

Flop is: 2 3s 4s

I check call $300, HU to turn

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate your check-call here. I wouldn't think he would normally continuation bet (with a hand you beat) with 3 other players having seen the flop.

If you are excited by that flop (which you really shouldn't be), you should bet into him. Check-call seems horrible, but I certainly wouldn't argue with an occasional semi-bluff here. Of course, this assumes that you would play your sets the same way. To bet is OK because you are usually taking the pot down right there when he has a missed A high or a hand like 99, but check-calling seems terrible.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: 6s, check check

Hmm thats weird thought hed bet, maybe AA/KK no spade

[/ QUOTE ]

Why in the world would he bet??? If he has any AA or KK, he would probably check.

Now given he has the nuts, it was kind of foolish for him not to bet. Especially because the 6 put 4 to a straight out there. But I don't think you were putting him on a flush.

[ QUOTE ]

River: 4

I bet $700 he smooth calls with AsQs

How did I mess this up. I figure I should get raised here about 100% of the time. Am I crazy? Check raise river +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your bet was the right play. There is no way you can know he has the nut flush. It seemed like he was a cautious opponent playing pot control with a big pair, so betting $800-900 is fine.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:42 PM

Actually, I didn't consider the ramifications of a 2 3 4 flop.

Not only do you have a gutshot, but that lucky card could give him the wheel.

I don't hate your check-call as much. I still don't like it.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:12 PM

I think he played it well. He certainly didn't overplay it.

As for you, not so much.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:46 AM

Hey,

I don't really like MY check on that turn too much after I did it (I am Calculoso, funnily enough). The reason I did it was, in fact, pot control though - I put you on a much stronger hand on the flop than 66, nothing smaller than TT. When the turn 6s comes out as a spade, I checked after your check to A) make it look like it was a scare card for me - if I fired another shot here (putting you on TT) I don't think you can call. and B) give myself value on the river in case that you did have a hand like TT, JJ, etc. at which point you could call a value bet looking play on riv as a complete miss on my part.

I didn't raise the riv since I didn't think there was anything that I beat that you would call with... I didn't put you on set on flop (really I don't know why you called) since you didn't try to c/r my c-bet and get any of the other guys out who may have had straight or flush draws. That said I didn't really put you on full house (dangerous to give table a free card on the 234 flop) but figured you arent calling a raise with a losing hand.

So, I don't like my turn check too much but I misjudged your flop call. Please reply with any of your additional thoughts on this.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:46 AM

Calc
I dont know know what you think of your opponent in this hand
But the general bodog opponent is calling the flop with any flush draw, and any hand with a 5. I think that while in this case you just calling on the river saved you money it will not in the long run.
Against most oppents you could show your flush and youd have trouble getting them to lay 56 let alone a smaller flush. Hindsight is 20/20 but I would never have made my opponent for a boat here- and while there are many times a worse hand isnt calling a raise I dont think this is one of them.
Please note I am talking about typical opponets here, if you had a different read on this one its a totally diffeent story.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey,

I don't really like MY check on that turn too much after I did it (I am Calculoso, funnily enough). The reason I did it was, in fact, pot control though

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like it's backwards thinking to focus on "pot control" when you hit the nuts
Old 09-02-2006, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey,

I don't really like MY check on that turn too much after I did it (I am Calculoso, funnily enough). The reason I did it was, in fact, pot control though

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like it's backwards thinking to focus on "pot control" when you hit the nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

lol right on