Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Horribly general question re: O/8

In your opinion, does a skilled player have a bigger edge in O/8 than HE, either LHE or NLHE? Just wondering if you guys have any thoughts on whether the decision-making process for O/8 is "easier" or "harder".. and whether luck is more/less/same type of factor.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Horribly general question re: O/8

Sorry, nobody took the bait. You'll find thousands of this conversation if you look at the old threads.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:27 AM

Idiots have less of a disadvantage in O8 than in NLH because there is a BINGO aspect to O8 when you get 7 or 8 of them to the flop. Obviously, this is also an advantage to anyone who has a clue.

It's easier to get competent at O8 than NLH but a lot harder to master. Mere competence is enough to beat a lot of low limit fields.

Your question is horrible and it has taken every ounce of me not to get snarky. (Oops.) The fact of the matter is that it depends on how dumb you are and who you play against.

O8 allows a great edge for those who think and play leading with their big head and not their little head.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

O8 allows a great edge for those who think and play leading with their big head and not their little head.

[/ QUOTE ]

FTW
Old 09-20-2007, 11:44 AM

It would be possible to obtain a general answer to your question if you had access to all of the SNG stats from startracker or sharkscope. You could look at the distribution of ROI for both O8 and HE SNGs and see where the distribution was wider. If one type of SNG allows a winning player at the 99th %ile of ability to maintain 24% ROI over thousands of games while the 99th % player for the other only achieves a 19% ROI, then you could say fairly definitively that the former game allows for a greater edge.
But you would need a subscription and a lot of patience to mine the data, unless you could prevail on them to let you run raw queries against their database.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:35 PM

FWIW, I've kept stats on my live play for both O/8 and LHE. The Standard Deviation # per hr. runs very comparably for 3/6 O/8 full kill vs. either 3/6 or 4/8 LHE. The standard deviation calculations run close to 6 BB per hour, regardless of which game I play.

Thus, I see the games as roughly "equal opportunity" from a profit potential POV.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:52 PM

Thank you for giving it so much thought.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FTW

[/ QUOTE ]
In one line I have come to a crushing realization as to why I suck at poker. NHS
Old 09-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Count - There are different kinds of skills involved in playing different games of poker. If you think of playing skill as the ability to sense weakness in an opponent and act accordingly, then Texas hold 'em offers a greater opportunity to skilled players.

Phrased another way, Texas hold 'em requires more skill in sensing weakness in an opponent and acting accordingly.

But Omaha-8 is overall a more complex game that Texas hold 'em and depends more on ending up with the best hand. It requires some skill to estimate when you have the best hand, or whether you have a good chance to scoop or win part of the pot.

It's a bit like comparing an athlete in one sport to an athlete in another. Some measure of coordination and strength are important in all sports. But in some sports reaction time seems more important than brute strength, while in other sports brute strength seems more important.

Buzz
Old 09-21-2007, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But Omaha-8 is overall a more complex game that Texas hold 'em and depends more on ending up with the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about that, highly skilled HE play, really depends on narrowing your opponents ranges appreciating all the factors they use.

[ QUOTE ]

It requires some skill to estimate when you have the best hand, or whether you have a good chance to scoop or win part of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The complexity is adjusting to players seeing flops, how tight loose etc.