Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 06:11 AM

Default 50NL - trapping a player to call, what amount to raise?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Reads
MP: limps any Ace, overvalues TP when his Ace hits
Button: Seems solid

BB ($18.65)
UTG ($73.75)
MP ($19)
Button ($69.20)
Hero ($57.55)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

The perfect flop for us. Gameplan is to check and let MP bet for us then CR after Button is in the pot, too.

Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $2.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $7.5</font>, Hero calls $7.50, <font color="#CC3333">

Well that worked out great. Assuming that MP has his A he will push here

MP raises to $19.5 (All-In)</font>, Button calls $9.50,

Ok, all went according to plan. I put button on AQ, AK, AT, TT (and a longshot 98).

Hero ???

I think I push here but maybe I should raise a very small amount virtually forcing Button to call and push any turn. I guess it makes no difference though and I should just push to not let him get away if he has the rare 98 or some pair like KK/QQ/JJ and will only call if making a hand?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Re: 50NL - trapping a player to call, what amount to raise?

Do it now because hes if hes a decent player, hes gonna see no sidepot and just wanna check down his aq ak.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:14 AM

just push
Old 09-13-2007, 06:40 AM

This worked out pretty well, however, your line looks really trappy and if button has AK this is the last of the money he is putting in if he has any sense. How did you know MP was going to bet? Often he will check an ace and then button is going to check behind if he doesnīt have an ace. If you lead the flop, MP pushes, button might still think AK is the best hand enough to push himself. I think your line made him suspicious. But the result was pretty good so I canīt complain too much. As played, just push. Not much else you can do. Button isnīt going to bet for you and a small raise is just going to make life even easier for button so that he can fold with a smile.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:45 AM

As I said, I have seen villain A show down Ax a lot after initially limping.
I've also seen him push liberal with a smallish stack before (basically on any flop he connected with but HU not 3 way)

After thinking this through I probably should have bet out, MP comes over the top and Button might raise to isolate him.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 AM

in multiway pots I pretty much always bet out with my set. Players with position love to raise if they hit TP just to "find out where they're at". Plus if you bet, MP calls, and Button raises, you've already trapped alot of money. On top of that, there's nothing I hate more than seeing it checked around, which actually happens somewhat regularly.

I like money in the pot so I bet. No one ever believes me anyways
Old 09-13-2007, 12:32 PM

How is your game plan on flop correct when it's Btn that raised pf? Not MP. MP limp-called. You can't trap any money in between. I see your read, but it didn't say he donked his limped A every time. If he's overvaluing, I'd guess that he c/r the Ax being short like that. When you c/r, is he stupid enough to call with TPWK? is button going to call TPTK?

Dry as it is, I think I donk that flop because of the A. UTG calls or raises with an A; button may raise.