Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 05:54 PM

Default I knew I could play: Last hand

I don't get it. Did the author even win this hand? I think I must have lost some brain cells because I can't figure this one out at all.

Greg
Old 12-05-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: I knew I could play: Last hand

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. Did the author even win this hand? I think I must have lost some brain cells because I can't figure this one out at all.

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

4 clubs on the board. The author hit the flush with his 7.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:31 AM

He knew that the other 2 players in the hand had sets or two pairs so he was the only one drawing to a flush after the flop and it didnt matter how low it was.

If he made it to the flop he could have played pocket 2s with the 2c the exact same way. Now that would have been truly awesome.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

4 clubs on the board. The author hit the flush with his 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn it I knew it was something simple. I just never looked closely enough at the suits.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 12-06-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he made it to the flop he could have played pocket 2s with the 2c the exact same way. Now that would have been truly awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, several years ago - I am talking perhaps in the late 90s - there was a post on this board where 22 was up against two known sets and went to the river looking for a flush. I think the poster was Rick Nebiolo or perhaps Louie Landale. Or maybe it was someone else on RGP or something. Whatever. But I do know that there was a post.

I played the 77 hand probably 2 or 3 years ago and when I played it, I immediately thought about that post. I think that the most interesting aspect of that 77 hand was my turn 3 bet in order to make it less expensive to draw. The reason why I was able to make that play at the table was that I had thought about the situation already when I read the 22 post (in the 22 post itself, there was no turn 3 bet).

As result of having thought about that old 22 post, there have been a couple of other occasions where I have put in a raise on the turn in order to make it cheaper to draw. I find that kinda neat: raise the turn not for value nor as a semibluff but rather to make it cheaper to draw.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:56 PM

SKP,

How can you be sure you're not up against Queens with the higher flush draw?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:05 PM

John limp reraised UTG. That in itself rules out QQ.

Dave in the bb raised and then capped preflop. While the cap by itself may not rule out QQ, the fact that he capped an UTG limp-reraiser sure goes a long way in ruling out QQ. Keep in mind that both are good players. Dave should know that a limp reraise by John is very very likely to be KK or AA or perhaps AKs. I would not expect Dave to cap with QQ here.

And all that is just preflop. On the flop as well, both players are going nuts. This too points to "no QQ".

Adding it all up, I was sure that I had the only live flush draw.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:07 AM

skp those hands are very impressive.
what and where do you play now
Old 01-03-2007, 04:59 PM

I had been playing in the Party 50 games until about May 2006. I then got totally sick of playing online poker. Honestly, I can't think of a more boring way to make money.
I used to play online about 3 or 4 times a week. One of my poker nights would roll around and I would be calling my wife from work and saying stuff like "well, it's Thursday...I guess I have to play poker tonight...damn"

Finally, I just said the hell with it, I am not playing anymore. I took several months off and then went back to live poker for a bit but that didn't really spark my interest either. Right now, I am rarely playing.

Poker is fun to talk about, read about, and write about. Too bad, it sucks to play it.

Hopefully, the day will again come when I look forward to my poker nights.