Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Now I\'m Even More Convinced...

Well we'll just have agree to disagree. I see a pattern. Their are just too many coincidences all pointing in 1 direction for randomness to be in charge of the universe. Its a probability thing in addition to a preference thing.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well we'll just have agree to disagree. I see a pattern. Their are just too many coincidences all pointing in 1 direction for randomness to be in charge of the universe. Its a probability thing in addition to a preference thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

what coincidences? do you not agree that the bible was written about 1000 years after all the events supposedly happened?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:24 PM

I would find the probability that allot of what is said in the bible being UNABLE to be tenuisly linked to some actual occurance somewhere staggeringly unlikely. It's a long book.

When I was at primary school, we read a series of books called 'the village with three corners'. I later moved to a village where the village green was a triangle. Does that mean that Jennifer yellow hat from the books is a messiah?

Coincedence? I think not. Blaspheme!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what coincidences? do you not agree that the bible was written about 1000 years after all the events supposedly happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

1000 years? you're off 900+ years. You need to research this before you make statements like that. The New Testament is considered by scholars to be the most reliable ancient religious text in the world as regards to its authenticity. They recently found a preserved copy of some ancient documents in incredibly good condition. I believe it was a Dead Sea Scrolls copy.

I HOPE THIS THREAD GETS BACK ON TRACK AND ADDRESSES MY OP.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:35 PM

Well, a challenge then. Find a non-specific prophecy (meaning it doesn't contain a specific person, date etc. but is a little hazier) we CAN'T link to a past or current event.

Use whichever source you want.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:38 PM

okay, lets assume that it was just 100 years after the events which it depicts, if someone were to write today a story about someone in 1907 predicting the nuclear bomb, WWII, the internet, and the iraq war, it wouldn't seen very profetic.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, a challenge then. Find a non-specific prophecy (meaning it doesn't contain a specific person, date etc. but is a little hazier) we CAN'T link to a past or current event.

Use whichever source you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullseye.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found it very curious that the Hellenes were the ones that performed the "abomination of desolation" (the abomination of desolation means a desolating sacrilege) mentioned by Daniel in the book of Daniel...

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think you can claim this historical act constitutes the desecration referred to in Daniel without at least some mention of the seventy weeks (or seventy sevens). It seems to provide a timeframe, not related to this putative fulfillment. I was also struck by the number of "citation needed" comments - how well justified is this analysis do you think?

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, later on Paul was sent first to the Gentiles in Greece. Quite a coincidence that the Greeks were the ones to desecrate the altar in Jerusalem and be the first Gentiles to receive the Gospel. I guess I've got to agree with the creationists the world seems to have an order or pattern. Its discerning the pattern that is a challenge and what the pattern ultimately means.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any order or pattern (I presume you mean prophecies in the bible being fulfilled?) can only be discerned if the prophecy is deemed to be fulfilled - are you claiming that Daniel 9 is a prophecy predicting the actions of this Greek King?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 PM

I'm not sure on what the challenge is. Can you explain in more detail?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM

Actually I'm not talking about prophecy in this post. I'm talking about a historical fact I uncovered by accident.
It may relate to Daniel's prophecy. I am commenting in my OP on the unusualness of the event I discovered, the atrocity by the Greek ruler. It's like a biblical hole I stumbled on. We can hardly keep the 20th century straight so it is very easy to overlook or be unaware of details out of ancient history.