Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Post here when coaches do something obviously stupid

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Did the pitcher do it unilaterally or did Yost call for it?

There is a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm 98.3% sure it was Yost. Given the circumstances, first pitch, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll up that a percent.

It was Seth McClung who nailed Pujols. There is no way that even Ned Yost would bring in Seth McClung to legitimately pitch to Pujols in a 1-run game in a tight division race in the final week of the season.

Of course, it doesn't help that Turnbow completely obliterates any chance of the Brewers winning every other game he pitches, but that move by Yost may have been the stupidest move of the season by any manager.

It's nice that he only pitches Cordero in save situations, though. Would never want your best reliever to pitch more than 3 outs.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SF 17 STL 16 4th Quarter: clock stopped at 1:04 after Isaac Bruce ran OB.

4-3-SF 38 (1:04) 14-J.Wilkins 56 yard field goal is No Good, Short, Center-45-C.Massey, Holder-89-D.Looker.

Trying to convert a 4th & 3 has to be a much higher percentage play than kicking a game winning 56 yarder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the bigger screw up was on first down at the Niner's 45 with 1:30 on the clock and no timeouts when the Rams elected to spike the ball to stop the clock. On second down the Niners sacked Bulger, setting up the 3rd and long pass play to Bruce, who went out of bounds a few yards short of the first down. Trading a down for like 10 seconds when you are one play from FG range is just retarded.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:37 AM

Joe Borowski blah blah etc.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
US Women's soccer coach switching goalies for the semi-final is working out well...

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I've learned about this...granted it's from ESPN's reporting...the more annoyingly odd this decision was.
This coach, Greg Ryan, sounds like a total moron. What a horribly bizarre decision.

Scurry has done so well specifically in games against Brazil in the past, 12-0, that he starts her even though Solo had gone 3-0-1 in the competition and Scurry hadn't played in 3 mths.

That's pretty much the equivilent of Leinhart leading ARI to the Super Bowl against Vince Young and TEN and then the Cardinals deciding to start Kurt Warner for the final game because he has experience beating TEN in the Super Bowl and Leinhart doesn't.
It's just so beyond retarded it's difficult to even conceieve that this was actually his real logic for doing this.

I mean, I guess there's some POSSIBLE logic to it if you buy the idea that Brazil shoots more low shots and Scurry is better at handling such shots. But it's still weird to think one goalie matches up so much better with a specific team that she should get the starting nod even though she hasn't played in 3 mths.

Loved Solo's candid comments about being benched for that game. Not only said she really didn't understand why the coach did it but also went so far as to say she had no doubt she would have stopped those shots. At least a couple of the goals Scurry let in looked very save-able to me imo.

But she kind of threw her own teammate under the bus with her candid comments and one even wonders about her future with the team.

It was a ridiculously poor decision that disrupted team chemistry and caused all kinds of media distractions, alienated one of their top players, and pretty much screwed up everything.
And for all that nonsensical idiocy they ended up getting clobbered 4-0.

Hey, Scurry had been great once upon a time and can still play decently I'm sure.
But wtf did she do to deserve to start that game besides winning some big gms vs. this particular opponent 3+ yrs ago?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What you need is a combination of a coach with untouchable tenure and an innovative, open-minded approach. Its obvious why this is a rare combination. For him to have an iron-clad job with no risk of being fired, he has to have had some serious success over time. This means he will be a) old and b) confident that his system works...which it does. There is very little incentive for this guy to be innovative. Its not impossible, just rare.

Plus jocks are dumb ldo.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the NFL, most if not all teams use a variation of the "Vermeil chart" that him and another guy developed when Vermeil was a young assistant at UCLA in the early '70s, detailing when to go for 2 based on the score differential, and in some variations, the time remaining in the game.

Vermeil's original chart played it safe, and it calls for kicking the PAT when down by 8.

I think it was predicated on the assumption that they would normally outclass the opponent in talent, and overtime would be more favorable for them, and that hasn't been adjusted for the NFL where it is literally a coin flip.

And everyone in the NFL uses the chart as a basis. Some of them modify it to be more aggressive with less time on the clock late, but I don't think anyone's chart calls for going for 2 when down 8.

Usually, when you're down 14, you're not doing something right on offense to begin with, and if you fail on the conversion and lose by 8, or convert it and lose by 6, you still lose, only now you get compounded on for looking like an idiot in fan's eyes.

But regardless, the fact that "the chart" was put together by a young college football assistant means hope that a new innovation can come from anywhere....not necessarily from a big name, tenured coach with job security.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:59 PM

Just want to get in on a prediction here that relates to something posted earlier in the thread. I predict that if WVU gets in the endzone here they will go for 1 to make the score 21-13, so that they are down by 8, rather than doing the correct thing and going for 2.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just want to get in on a prediction here that relates to something posted earlier in the thread. I predict that if WVU gets in the endzone here they will go for 1 to make the score 21-13, so that they are down by 8, rather than doing the correct thing and going for 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, just managed to sneak my prediction in before they score....of course I was right.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:11 PM

Rich Rodriguez not going for 2 tonight, wow.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:54 PM

It seems to me that when people go for 2 and miss, the analysts are happy with their "gutsy" and "brave" decision in most scenarios.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that when people go for 2 and miss, the analysts are happy with their "gutsy" and "brave" decision in most scenarios.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will lay you 3:1 on anything under $500 that the next time a coach goes for two when he is down by 9 (after he has just scored) rather than just kicking it to make the score 8, that the announcers blast him, call him an idiot, and say something very, very close to this: "I just don't get why you'd go for 2 there, if you miss it you are down by 9. You kick the one and now you are only down by one score!"

That is a ridiculously specific bet to be laying 3:1 and I still have way, way the best of it.