Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Bobby Jenks is Unhittable

Jenks gives up hit to first batter he faces tonight, capping his streak at 41, tied for longest all-time.

I had to get out of bed to bump this thread because Steve Phillips just said perhaps the dumbest thing ever. He was talking about "H/OP", or as he called it hits/outs percentage relative to a count.

Jenks started out Laird 0-0, and he said Jenks has retired like 74% of batters this year when starting 0-0 (in other words, all batters he's faced). Then he got Laird 0-1 and the percentage went up to like 85%, then he got Laird 0-2 and the graphic showed that Jenks has retired 100% of the hitters he's faced this season when getting them into an 0-2 count. OK, small sample size, but whatever, I follow...

Phillips basically said this is a good thing. Then Laird fouled off a couple curveballs or something, keeping the count 0-2, Phillips re-iterated that this was a good thing. Jenks' advantage was still 100%. Then Jenks made a catastrophic mistake by throwing a 94mph fastball up-and-in for ball 1. Phillips showed the graphic went down to like 86% on a 1-2 count, and sure enough next pitch was a hanging curveball for a single to left. Phillips basically (me paraphrasing) said "You see, his percentage went down to 86% here after he threw that ball up-and-in. Although still very good, he no longer had a 100% advantage. That is where he went wrong tonight."

WOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWWOWWW. So getting a guy 0-2, and throwing two more curves over the plate for foul balls, then trying a heater up and in, to presumably set up the backdoor curve on the next pitch (or double-up with another high heater..point is..get the hitter thinking), is a bad idea. Just keep throwing curves over the plate. Wow. I need an FSP blog.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:11 AM

Steve Phillips said something dumb? NO WAI
Old 08-21-2007, 01:13 AM

This guy was actually the Mets GM before this.

What an embarassment. Omar Minaya is where it's at.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:14 AM

I can't have been the only one who saw him say that. It was horrible. I mean, ghastly.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't have been the only one who saw him say that. It was horrible. I mean, ghastly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Earlier in the Yanks/Angels game Rick Sutcliffe said that he was anticipating the day when they could make the call for A-Rod's historical 757th home run.

Think about THAT.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Earlier in the Yanks/Angels game Rick Sutcliffe said that he was anticipating the day when they could make the call for A-Rod's historical 757th home run.

Think about THAT.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he had said 756th it would have been insightful. Retarded and lame, but insightful.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the biggest thing a fat white guy has done in the midwest since Travis Szyzmerski opened and closed the Golden Corral buffet on May 28th, 2002 in Davenport, IA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Davenport and I know of the Golden Corral there and this statement has me wondering what this is all about, or if you made something crazy up. I'm still curious, either way.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is the biggest thing a fat white guy has done in the midwest since Travis Szyzmerski opened and closed the Golden Corral buffet on May 28th, 2002 in Davenport, IA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Davenport and I know of the Golden Corral there and this statement has me wondering what this is all about, or if you made something crazy up. I'm still curious, either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, as far as I know, it's a joke. But hey, maybe it did happen.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No! Joey Jo-Jo!