Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Fox News \"biased?\" what about ABC,CBS,NBC

[ QUOTE ]
News does not reflect the beliefs of the american people. It reflects the beliefs of sponsors and ownership.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm... duh.. WTF does that have to do with anything I said?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed. Certainly their pro-government/pro-corporate bias comes before either liberal or conservative biases.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Liberal media vs conservative media is a false dichotomy.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fox leans further to the right than the others lean to the left. Their slogan should not be 'fair and balanced' but simply 'the right's point of view'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it? Or do you simply lean more to the left? Or maybe you're just used to the left? I tend to agree with you, but I'm not so sure myself for those very reasons!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do lean to the left but I don't think that affects my ability to see that Fox is further to the right.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Fox representing the other side. I just have a problem with them claiming to be balanced. That would put them in a neutral position which clearly they are not.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When Jennings thought Gore won Florida

[/ QUOTE ]

News flash: Gore DID win Florida. Bush's "election" in 2000 was every bit as fraudulent as everything else this gang of crooks and liars has done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, best red herring ever.

[ QUOTE ]
News flash #2: the "liberal media" has propped Bush up every step of the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this serious? I suggest you open the New York Times once in a while.

I'm an ACist, so I hate both parties, but I definitely think ABC/NBC/CBS/NYT are pretty liberal.

The simplest way to think about this is to just look at the statistics for how many people in these news organizations are Democrats. You think they just magically become objective when they report the news?

Yea, Fox News is on the right a considerable amount but what difference does that make when various other media outlets are on the left. The conservatives don't get to have one news station? lol.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there is anything wrong with Fox representing the other side. I just have a problem with them claiming to be balanced. That would put them in a neutral position which clearly they are not.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the big journalist news organizations claim to be balanced though. They might not emphasize it as much as Fox does but that's just a rhetoric tactic.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It amazes me that roughly 90% of print and TV "journalists" describe themselves as dumbacrats and you people worry about one channel giving a more objective view.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I highly doubt that any TV journalists describe themselves a "dumbacrats", and using such a pointless and unimaginative slur really hurts your credibility.

[ QUOTE ]
When Jennings thought Gore won Florida and was caught on camera whispering "we won" that shows his bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember this, but how is this any worse than when David Brinkley went into his extemporaneous rant about how Bill Clinton "doesn't have a creative bone in his body" on air on ABC News the night of the 1996 election.

How about when FoxNews identified Mark Foley as a Democrat?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:16 PM

Media Research - a "media watch dog" group set on "documenting, exposing and neutralizing liberal media bias."

Media Matters for America is "dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media."

My take: Fox is unabashedly biased. Most of the other press is hugely incompetent, amounting to what appears to be liberal or conservative bias.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:02 PM

I did a quick google search on the word "liberal" and copied the first three.
Definitions of liberal on the Web:
* broad: showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant of his opponent's opinions"
* having political or social views favoring reform and progress
* tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition

So a liberal media would present a broad range of opinion, favor reform, not be bound by authoritarianism. I think that pretty accurately describes exactly what journalists should aspire to be.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did a quick google search on the word "liberal" and copied the first three.
Definitions of liberal on the Web:
* broad: showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant of his opponent's opinions"
* having political or social views favoring reform and progress
* tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition

So a liberal media would present a broad range of opinion, favor reform, not be bound by authoritarianism. I think that pretty accurately describes exactly what journalists should aspire to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barca,

I think you're aware that you're applying the wrong definition of liberal to this discussion. We're talking about (hard) news, which we hope is a close, accurate representation of the facts and is not ideologically filtered.

Your definition works perfectly well for the op-ed pages and TV personalities like O'Reilly, Matthews, Olbermann, et al. However, these men are not newscasters.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:01 PM

Actually Gore did not win Florida, and I can't beleive you still say that. He lost every recount....even the ones where he cherrypicked the counties he wanted.

I'm no big Bush fan, but after 9-11 I was sooooooooooooooooo happy "Gore the Spineless" was not in office. If he was, he'd probably be having tea with Bin Laden trying to get him to like us infidels.
Closed Thread