Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: A coincidence that bothers me

[ QUOTE ]
The Moon used to be much closer to the Earth and is moving away. It just happens to be at this time that it appears to be the same size as the Sun.

[/ QUOTE ]

The coincidence is that it is happening at the same time that humans come into existence on this planet. What makes it a big deal is that from a geologic time perspective humans have existed on this planet for only a tiny iota of an instance. The earth and moon come from the original cast.

I suspect that its a pretty huge long shot for life to develope on any planet. Of all the planets that develope life, I suspect its a huge long shot for that life to evolve intelligence equal to that of modern human beings.

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you make this dishonest thread? This doesn't actually bother you, you're just trying to make a point to show that your stance on creationism is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm comfortable with the ideal that the universe and that which it contains, came into existence via a process of emergence. However since you bring up the point, I will agree that the more astronomical long shots that come in, the more you have to consider the possibility of an active designer.

What kind of parlayed long shots would you need to see come in before you began to think it was more likely the universe was designed rather than emerged?

Stu