Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Over/Under 18.5 Democratic pickups on Nov.7th?
Under 2 16.67%
Over 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: *** Official NY Mets Our OFFSEASON Has Come Thread ***

we need to change this bullpen

yes maybe i would rather have bell, lindstrum, owens than linebrink but too late for that
Old 10-04-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But we didnt fire Willie. Someone is going to have to take the fall. And hitting wasnt the main problem

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to blame the players and the way Omar coddled some of the players.

Willie has proven himself as a winner, management needs to allow him to win.

Most teams have similiar problems. How the team wins with those problems distinguishes them as winners.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:19 PM

linebrink has been solid for a couple of years and was decent this last year despite a rough stretch...

regardless, he's an upgrade for a glaring problem...yea, he'll be overpaid, but whatever, this is the [censored] mets...

no way, stay away from kent and from anyone that might fall apart, get a prospect to fill it if castillo isn't coming back, again, offense i still don't think will be a problem...reyes sucked the 2nd half, delgado was bad, lo duca was bad, beltran usually is a bit better and alou was out a good amount, our offense isn't going to get worse, only better if anything...

pitching pitching pitching plz
Old 10-04-2007, 12:23 PM

meh, willie being a proven winner...meh...

remember, a lot of us questioned a lot of his decisions before this season, a lot of those issues were covered up by the great success of the team last year...u know, before we were embarassed by the [censored] cards...

i agree, lots of teams have issues, but jeez, pitching is hard to fix, especially with the lack of options out there and the cruddy state of our farm...

i can't stand the guy, but someone like a weaver needs to be brought in who can eat a ton of innings, no pen is going to survive if they have to pitch this many innings in a season...
Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
meh, willie being a proven winner...meh...

remember, a lot of us questioned a lot of his decisions before this season, a lot of those issues were covered up by the great success of the team last year...u know, before we were embarassed by the [censored] cards...

i agree, lots of teams have issues, but jeez, pitching is hard to fix, especially with the lack of options out there and the cruddy state of our farm...

i can't stand the guy, but someone like a weaver needs to be brought in who can eat a ton of innings, no pen is going to survive if they have to pitch this many innings in a season...

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid point but we have a lot of time before we can make or announce any moves.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:28 PM

There is no prospect that can fill at 2b, besides Gotay if you still consider him one. Hernandez is a disgrace to the uniform. Gotay could be a viable option, it's tough to say with so few MLB plate appearances. This is still a good team, but it might be another year before we fill some of the glaring holes, just by judging who is out there. Virtually every one of our "prospects" underperformed this year. Carp will not likely be a MLB starting caliber 1b. humber and Pelfrey remain overrated and underperforming. Mulvy had promising but misleading numbers, and lacks the peripherals at this point. Fernando Martinez is a ways away. Who knows about Gomez, Milledge looks promising.

This is a good team, not a great one. Don't expect any offseason moves this year to make the mets significantly better for next year, it just doesn't look likely at this point. With the exact same team, we will be contenders. This is more than most teams can say.

James
Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 PM

James what about Guerra? Also, wasn't Hernandez named the Mets offensive player of the year in the farm system? I think Mulvy will be fine #3 or #4 starter for the Mets down the road.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 PM

Why is Anderson Hernandez "a disgrace to the uniform"? He hit .301 at AAA (and was at .210 in mid-May). He may not be an all-star in the making, but "disgrace to the uniform" seems a little harsh, no?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
James what about Guerra? Also, wasn't Hernandez named the Mets offensive player of the year in the farm system? I think Mulvy will be fine #3 or #4 starter for the Mets down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd put Mulvy at a reasonable #4 or #5. But that is a very valuable commodity to have basically for free. The problem for me is that I see Mulvy, Humber, and Pelfrey all as #4s or #5s at this point, which means we may have to look to free agency for the front end of the rotation in the future - which is expensive and risky. Of course, Maine and perez should stem this for a while.

Regarding Guerra - He's great, so far - but he's Martinez's age and a ways away from the big leagues. It's possible that when he reaches the big leagues he will have front line potential - but it's way too early too tell. Silly oversight on my part not to mention him before.

The biggest problem with Hernandez is exactly that he is named the best offensive player in the metsfarm system.

He batted .301, but that is very misleading. 31 walks in 529 PA is terrible for a speedy light hitting guy. He slugs less than .400, which will be even worse in Shea. His 339 OBP in AAA is just not good at all - and he's already 25, which means he basically is what he is at this point. If he can get some plate discipline, I guess he could theoretically be a poor, poor man's Luis Castillo(from this year, not when Castillo was a good player). Hernandez is a true replacement level player. He has very good defense, and is a liability on offense. A reasonably fine guy to have on the bench as a defensive replacement for a hitting 2b, but not a guy you can waste 10-11% of the season's at bats on.

James
Old 10-04-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But we didnt fire Willie. Someone is going to have to take the fall. And hitting wasnt the main problem

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to blame the players and the way Omar coddled some of the players.

Willie has proven himself as a winner, management needs to allow him to win.

Most teams have similiar problems. How the team wins with those problems distinguishes them as winners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Similiar problems?

Mets Pitcher's ERA by month:

April: 2.96
May: 3.73
June: 4.20
July: 4.50
August: 4.93
September: 5.14

most teams have pitchers who pitch worse and worse as the season goes on .. 5.14 in September?

here is more
batting avg against:
april: .227
may: .220
june: .253
july: .256
aug: .288
sept: .275

these things do not happen to good teams
the pitching fell apart
and peterson should be held accountable