Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Getting the biggest discounts at grocery store gas stations

I've been filling up my gas at Safeway gas stations occasionally. They generally have pretty competitive prices, and they offer discounts to 'club' members. I would always look around at other peoples' pumps to see what kind of discount they were getting. I woudl get like 3 cents, they were getting 6-10 cent discounts per gallon. WTF.

It was pretty obvious they were basing the discount on how much you spent at the grocery store in the previous week/month/decade, but I am 25 and we don't cook very much. I had to figure something out to get a better discount.

I'm at the pump one day and have a realization--there are many people who don't want grocery stores monitoring their buying habits. These people still want their grocery discounts for being a member, so they sign up under a fake phone number.

I go to the pump, and enter 425-555-1212 as my phone number.

"You have qualified for a $.12/gallon discount today"

VICTORY. I had never seen any of the pumps that I spied on give that big of discount. I'm not sure how many people use that number, but it is obviously a popular one. I'm going to try out different numbers over the next couple months. 425-123-4567, 425-555-1234, etc. I'm also going to try these out at a local chain that offers total-bill discounts if you've bought a certain amount in the previous month. So if you buy more than $500 worth of groceries in October you have a 20% off coupon you can use in November. I hope to get lucky and find one of these accounts with an unused discount.