Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 08:13 AM

Default London Weekend Fun

So I am in London for work and have the coming weekend free. Can OOT help me have a good time?

Looking for fun, interesting things to do. Standard tourist stuff is OK if not too boring but stuff I would not discover in any guidebooks is much better. I am staying near Oxford Circus if it matters but I am willing to take the tube anywhere in search of a good time.

Tips on where to see punk rock and/or metal shows are highly desired, as are mentions of independent record stores and great restaurants that I can go to in my jeans.

Thanks.

KJS
Old 02-22-2006, 08:18 AM

Default Re: London Weekend Fun

Camden is full of small music venues and probably indie record stores. I suggest you investigate that. You could see if any bands you like are playing any bigger venues like The Astoria, The Academy, The Electric Ballroom (i think thats in london). If you play an instrument check out Denmark Street near Tottenham Court Road. I don't know about restruants.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:35 AM

Best bet is to buy a time out mag has gigs and club nights listed in there, there are quite a few metal nights around the place but I am not 100% on where and what days.

Edit Ill Nino are playing the Mean Fiddler on Friday, go there watch them, loads of people with flyers outside for the rock nightclubs over the weekend,job done. If dont mind them of course.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:17 PM

Not a huge fan of bigger venues but I will check out those places. Sounds like that instrument shop is right near our Soho Square office but alas, I don't play.

KJS
Old 02-22-2006, 12:22 PM

check out old compton street area (5 mins walk from tottenham court road or leicester sq) for some cool restaurants and bars with no dress code
Old 02-22-2006, 12:24 PM

Mean Fiddler isnt that big 500 ish as a huge guestimate, think its just round the corner from Soho Square so can take a look.

There are bound to be some decent rock pubs as well, theres one off the back of regent street but for the life of me cant remember its name.

I only lived in London 6 months can tell how often I wen out!!!