Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Question re: Unread Posts

How come when I choose to view a thread I have never opened it does not always open to the original post?

The software seems to have some state of "first unread post" that is not related to the user. I read in flat mode and I would expect that every topic I have never viewed, regardless of how many replies, would open to page 1. But it does not. It seems to open at some "first unread post" that is often somewhere many pages down. Then I have to go to page 1 to read the OP and the replies from the beginning.

For instance, there is a thread in OOT called "Perfect MCAT Score". For replies it says 54(2) for me. I am 100% certain I never opened this thread. But my guess is that if I did, it would open to the 2nd last post (first unread, but by whom?) not the OP.

Just curious why this is and if there is a setting I can change on my preferences so that threads I have never opened always go to the OP when I click on them for the first time.

Thanks.

KJS
Old 03-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Question re: Unread Posts

The software uses a very strange algorithm to determine what posts you haven't read.

It does not appear to actually store on the server a cross listing of every user's status wrt every post... and I have not yet seen a good explanation of what it actually is doing.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:01 PM

KJS,

Obv you were in OOT reading other threads while that thread was previously active. Then after 45 minutes or so of inactivity, all threads in forums you've visited that session get marked read. Upon reopening that forum the only "new" posts are the ones made since your last visit to the FORUM, regardless of whether you previously opened that thread or not.

My workaround is to read every single thread in every forum before I log off so I'll know I haven't missed anything.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, there is a thread in OOT called "Perfect MCAT Score". For replies it says 54(2) for me. I am 100% certain I never opened this thread. But my guess is that if I did, it would open to the 2nd last post (first unread, but by whom?) not the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

The server goes by the last time you visited OOT. If you check a forum you never visit all the posts will be marked as unread. If you go to OOT, close the browser your using, and then go back to OOT all the posts will be marked as read.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The server goes by the last time you visited OOT. If you check a forum you never visit all the posts will be marked as unread. If you go to OOT, close the browser your using, and then go back to OOT all the posts will be marked as read.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I've always believed as well.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The server goes by the last time you visited OOT. If you check a forum you never visit all the posts will be marked as unread. If you go to OOT, close the browser you're using, and then go back to OOT all the posts will be marked as read.

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP before the grammar nits got me.