Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Live Poker Pros

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i hear ya. fwiw when i say that live games are softer than online at = stakes it has nothing to do with the good players. Its a combination of a) 1/2 being the smallest game offered rather than .01/.02, which means even completely new players are going to play 1/2 or 2/5 and b) tourists who would never play online but got bored on a business trip etc. you know the guys who come to the table and have to trade baccarat chips before starting etc. that you cant usually find online.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well if we assume this to be true then it implies also that live regulars do not get nearly the experience online players do in playing against better players overall, thus they do not develop their skills as fast/much.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:05 PM

obv online players are going to see more hands and the average opponent is better, but online players are often really slow to improve themselves. look at how many people w/ access to 2p2 have been playing for over a year and still cant win past 1/2
Old 11-09-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not everyone is an antisocial muppet who thinks life is about clicking a button on as many tables at once to brag/lie about your winrate on 2p2.com. Certain people simply prefer live dynamics, dislike computers in general, or have a game that is better suited to their local venues.

[/ QUOTE ]
This means you're a recreational player, OP is asking about pro players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, some people never went on-line until they were 20 years old. And yes, some people do still play live for a living, and prefer it as well.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Maybe I am some odd exception to the rule, but I had no problems adjusting to OL play. Many OL "pros" go the the B&M and act like they play better, but they, as a rule, suck.

If you are really convinced that playing 10/20 NL live is equal to .25/50 OL, I only have to say this: A pro at this level is playing TWELVE tables and beating the fish. Give me a break. If you can't win at this stake, you would be a fish at 1/2 live.

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that a winning 1/2 nl online player at FTP/PS, etc, can crush 1/2 nl live and not vice versa is the simplest way to refute this point. Also, your sample size is probably incredilby small both online and live. Lots of live players really have no idea how huge variance is.

[/ QUOTE ]

A live pro has to be able to do is figure out his opponents as quick as possible. I could pin-point tons of information in about two orbits. This has nothing to do with variance, this has to do with play. A mistake is a mistake, and an obvious leak is an obvious leak, matter your sample size.

On variance and sample size: I have more than 100k hands live and nearly 200k hands OL. Believe me, I have witnessed the oddest crap on variance.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On variance and sample size: I have more than 100k hands live and nearly 200k hands OL. Believe me, I have witnessed the oddest crap on variance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty much what my point was [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obv online players are going to see more hands and the average opponent is better, but online players are often really slow to improve themselves. look at how many people w/ access to 2p2 have been playing for over a year and still cant win past 1/2

[/ QUOTE ]
In my experience, live pros just aren't as good because they haven't had to adjust to highly aggressive games with lots of 3 betting and pepole making moves. It's nothing against them... but if they aren't playing many 3 bet pots because games arent aggressive then they just won't get as much experience in playing them.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 PM

i have played w/ a couple famous TV pros that were absolutely miserable at poker so i def agree some live pros are really bad. Ive also played w/ a couple really really sick players that never play on line. Yeah most of them dont play 3-bet pots well and that might factor in a lot w/ 100bbs, but most games ive played in LV have been 200bbs or Uncapped, and most online pros suck at 3-betting and playing 3-bet pots w/ 200bb+ stacks also so it kind of cancels out IME. Yeah on average online pros are better than live pros but that doesnt mean that there arent live pros who could deposit on stars tomorrow and beat decent stakes online.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:29 PM

Online pros don't play live because there isn't any money to be made. Playing 30 hands an hour vs at least 300 is no contest.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Online pros don't play live because there isn't any money to be made. Playing 30 hands an hour vs at least 800 is no contest.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 03:50 AM

Not everyone can play 12 tables though and play well! I know I'm struggling w/ 3-4 NL games especially when full tilt keeps stealing focus when I'm trying to type in a bet!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:45 AM

I never play more than 4 tables, in fact it's usually only 2 or 3. And I one-table stud and stud7.

I guess I could prob 12 table some micro NLHE game, but eh. Maybe some weekend I'll do an adhoc session just to say I did.