Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Politics Forum Split

I am not insulting any group.. Most of the people that post in politics, including the AC crowd, are alright. Borodog, pvn, and Richard Tanner all contribute to the forum, and are civil in their discourse. Also, I am not personally that hostile towards AC ideas, nor am I against Political theory discussions. I consider myself a Libertarian, and have a BA in Political Science , where I tried to take as many Theory classes as possible (though my school did not have a wide variety of such courses). It is the flooding of the forum with AC, and the hijackings, which make me hostile towards the people that refuse to allow other discussion to occur on the forum.

I apparently misread your opinion about splitting up the forums, for that I apologize.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:55 AM

I would like to see a "Political Events" forum, but I don't see the interest there. There are plenty of other websites that people who are interested in discussing politics can go to, so it's not a big loss.

If you look at the threads in politics, about 80% are "political theory" (i.e. AC). The remaining threads (those related to political events) don't usually get many responses unless they are hijacked by ACists.

I guess the question is: are there a large number of members who would like to post about current events, but completely avoid the Politics forum because of all the AC stuff? That's the only way there would be enough traffic to merit a new forum.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:26 PM

I don't understand why you guys keep calling it a "slow" forum. Looking at Sniper's numbers, it's in step with B&M, which is a forum I lurk that I don't consider slow at all. However, I certainly think any split - even if it increased the combined traffic of the two - would result in two pretty slow forums. The upcoming election year could be a factor that boosts traffic sufficiently though. Dunno.

Anyway, do any of you guys like each other? Like, have you ever sought each other out when you're in the same city? I mean, there's a lot of acrimony in OOT and Sports, which are the two forums I probably visit the most, but I see it as more of a family squabble and I basically like most of the people who contribute, even if I disagree from time to time. That said, it seems like you all pretty much can't stand each other. I understand the weight of your discussions probably contributes to this, but it also seems unhealthy to frequent a forum that causes you such stress. Maybe I'm not seeing things right.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the question is: are there a large number of members who would like to post about current events, but completely avoid the Politics forum because of all the AC stuff? That's the only way there would be enough traffic to merit a new forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, this was my thinking. I would guess that there are plenty of lurkers that are scared off by the tone of Poly, but would be willing to contribute to a more laid back Red v. Blue debate. Now whether or not Red v. Blue would be more civil the AC v. State is anyones guess, but I would think that moderation is the key there.

Cody
Old 07-03-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would really like to encourage more Current Events topics in the Lounge forum.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, do any of you guys like each other? Like, have you ever sought each other out when you're in the same city? I mean, there's a lot of acrimony in OOT and Sports, which are the two forums I probably visit the most, but I see it as more of a family squabble and I basically like most of the people who contribute, even if I disagree from time to time. That said, it seems like you all pretty much can't stand each other. I understand the weight of your discussions probably contributes to this, but it also seems unhealthy to frequent a forum that causes you such stress. Maybe I'm not seeing things right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough call and obviously differs by individual. I'll try to answer both parts.

First, Poly is a little different then Sports (where I lurk alot and post about NFL season). In sports, Edge, Noodle, and Myself are Colts fans, and there are plenty of Pats fans to balance us out. We always argue back and forth, but it's mostly in good fun, and we know the games between the two are normally instant classics, so it's all good.

Politics is a little different, you're very often bringing up questions that conflict or unsettle people's deepest beliefs. Because of this, the threads that generate the most interest often invoke the strongest feelings, and often some portion of those feelings are getting hurt. So yes, there is some stress involved, but I think that's part of what you sign up for in political discourse. You just have to try not to take it personally.

As for the second part, I like to think of myself as one of the more pragmatic members of the board. I'm always looking for compromise, both idologically and practically. I'd love to meet some of the guys (girls? I honestly don't know) from Poly in real life.
There are some who I'd be less then keen to meet, but in general I can't think of anyone with whom I'd not want to meet in person.

Cody
Old 07-03-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would really like to encourage more Current Events topics in the Lounge forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so we're clear, you're talking about political current events (debates, possible scandals, etc) right? I suppose if you and Carter are willing to allow things like that in your house then it could be a sort of test run as to how much interest is truely present on the topic.

Cody
Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM

this 'split' idea sucks

I don't like the scary theory...make them stop...
they won't stop....i'm leaving...

waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh
waaaaaaahhhh
wahhhhhhhhh
Old 07-03-2007, 02:08 PM

What about this as an analogy, what if every time you posted a poker hand question

"KK gets check raised on a scary flop, what's my play"

50 people responded

"Poker is gambling and gambling is evil and should be stopped"

and the whole thread got derailed into a "gambling is bad" argument? Wouldn't that get annoying?
Old 07-03-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this 'split' idea sucks

I don't like the scary theory...make them stop...
they won't stop....i'm leaving...

waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh
waaaaaaahhhh
wahhhhhhhhh

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you spent any time in Poly? That's not at all what's going on. Read that post below yours for a much better description.

Cody
Closed Thread