Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: General life questions / observations / random whatever thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you guys take this facebook stuff way too seriously

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 800+ friends on facebook and I know 85% of them well enough to add to my friends list.....I have approx 700 photos on there and am constantly on it... I have various exes, schoolfriends/uni mates and people I met working abroad on it. I feel that it enables me to keep in touch with people much easier than on the phone etc and is simple for maintaining friendships over distance..

I have about ~50 friend requests pending as I don't really know them...so have not added them ...

However, I think all the Werewolf etc stuff is lame...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at first I thought the werewolf comment was a POG dig at me, and then I realized it was about the stupid facebook applications.

Anyhow, I love facebook. I meant that some people in the thread were "overthinking" it because they were analyzing every action that happens on facebook and were all OMG SHOULD I ADD THIS PERSON OR NOT, I DON'T KNOW!!!

It is what it is, you don't need to stress about adding only super close friends, or someone poking you. Just have fun with it!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM

It is a method of communication just like any other except it is a bit more passive. Over time I've learned that you have to be somewhat private. If I just added everyone I'd have to weed though the garbage to get to the people I actually want to here from.

I attract a lot of crazies / annoying people. I moved into a hotel for two months while I was waiting for my place to become available. I was polite to the bell hop. He stalked me for the next year. I let some guy sit down at my table because the bar was packed and he seemed nice enough. Called me for two months almost every day even though I never answered or returned a message. I could go on for pages.

At any given time I'm avoiding a dozen or so losers who think I'll get them laid / who want to pitch me their get rich quick scheme so I like to control who has access to a list of my friends and where I'll be at certain times.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:42 PM

Henry,

Re: your response to Dale, exactly. I wasn't about to just drop off a $100 bill with some random bar manager at a place I don't frequent regularly. I just left him my info and told him to drop me a line if any bartender came up short and I'd swing by and give him the money. I talked to a buddy in the industry who told me that unlike smaller bars I have experience with, at a place like that the difference would just be made up by the hotel.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:26 PM

I may be one of the last college students in the U.S. to not have a Facebook.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 PM

I'll be spending Christmas alone this year and I'm wondering what people's opinions on that are.
I'm asian so my family never actually celebrated christmas the traditional western way, but it's always been a family time.

I've recently moved to london, far from home, my flatmates will be heading back home and despite an invitation to come along, I'd prefer not to intrude into family festivities.

What sort of things have you done when spending christmas alone? I guess it's hard for u guys to suggest anything since you are mostly in US (i'm in London, UK),
but any suggestions as what i could do?
the most obvious i can think of is volunteering. and I've made an application to help out at homeless shelters.
but I also want to have other activities in mind that I can engage myself in, (suggestions other than the obvious go out to bar/club).
Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be spending Christmas alone this year and I'm wondering what people's opinions on that are.
I'm asian so my family never actually celebrated christmas the traditional western way, but it's always been a family time.

I've recently moved to london, far from home, my flatmates will be heading back home and despite an invitation to come along, I'd prefer not to intrude into family festivities.

What sort of things have you done when spending christmas alone? I guess it's hard for u guys to suggest anything since you are mostly in US (i'm in London, UK),
but any suggestions as what i could do?
the most obvious i can think of is volunteering. and I've made an application to help out at homeless shelters.
but I also want to have other activities in mind that I can engage myself in, (suggestions other than the obvious go out to bar/club).

[/ QUOTE ]

Volunteering at a homeless shelter is a good way to go. I did this one year but a little more extreme: a service organization at my college went out and gave meals to a local area where they congregated. Despite a few minor comfrontations our group felt it was a success.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 AM

How much is the bare minimum you guys would have as a buffer on the bank if you made your living of poker? I'm having a hard time estimating how much I should put away, not that I am overflowing with money right now but anyway.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much is the bare minimum you guys would have as a buffer on the bank if you made your living of poker? I'm having a hard time estimating how much I should put away, not that I am overflowing with money right now but anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I did was invest money so that I had income from my investments equal to my fixed expenses. So basically my rent, utilities, condo fees, and car insurance are paid no matter what happens. The only thing I need to worry about is discretionary spending and food.

If you got a lot of money coming in I suggest investing a good portion of it. Once you have the basics covered by non-gambling income streams then you can spend whatever percentage of the gambling money you want.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The usual advice is 3-6 months, and I think that's about right. If you drop below three months worth, I would prioritise your poker to pay that back up to six, then look to bankroll build etc/spend money on fun stuff.

It REALLY helps your peace of mind to know you don't have to play next week if you don't want to. That kind of protection is invaluable when it comes to playing poker for a living.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I did was invest money so that I had income from my investments equal to my fixed expenses

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about this the other day, and wasn't sure how practical it actually was. Let's say for the sake of simplification that I need to hit $2k per month. That's $12k per year, so I'd need $240k invested.

The problem with this approach is that inflation will be 2 or 3% per year too, so it's a fairly short term plan. Furthermore, the places you store money to get good returns are often not easy to take money out of each month.

In my case, the fact I am paying 40% tax on interest sucks too. If only I didn't have a job that hit the top tax rate, poker is tax free for me...

It's also worth noting that op probably doesn't have $250k judging from the contents of his post.