Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-27-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: I [censored] up

Boro,

I had to put my cat down 7 years ago. I would have much preferred if she had just found somewhere comfortable and familiar to die instead of a vet's office that scared the [censored] out of her.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:56 AM

what a cute kitty.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:57 AM

Hey man turn that frown upside down. I'm sure Dante loved you and it sounds like he had a great life.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 AM

Jesus Christ this brings back memories from when my cat died when I was a child [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] so sad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But everyone I've spoken to today, including animal rehabbers and vets, told me that there is basically no possible way he was healthy and trapped for any significant amount of time and I don't hear him. All the vents were open in the crawl space, and I live in a quiet space, and went outside many, many times calling for him. Everyone has told me that he had to be sick, and went off to find a quiet place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to post much the same but deleted it, I couldn't get it to come out right. The second time you opened the door he would have been out like a shot if he was trapped there.

Sorry for your loss. Every cat I've had has been a wrench when I lost them, some in bad ways. Go to the shelter and get a kitten, you'll feel better.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:45 AM

Boro,

That's a really sad story, but it might have been for the best. I just lost a cat to feline leukemia, and my biggest regret is that she spent a lot of her last week in a terrifying vet's office going through painful medical procedures. Maybe Dante could have been helped, but it's just as likely that there was nothing to be done but torment him with shots and pills. As it was, he left quietly and peacefully. It could be worse. Best of luck dealing with this.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:09 PM

Boro,

So sorry for your loss man, sucks
Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM

I think it's very likely you would have heard some noise if he was still alive under there.
Another possibility is that he was playing with the insulation and choked which is also something that is going to be difficult to prevent. Cats scratch and chew things and sometimes it doesn't turn out well.

I had to put down my cat, the one in my avatar, about a year ago. It was really a lousy time for me. So I feel for you and can understand your pain. Losing a pet can really suck.

In other news, my sister is a house-call type vet so she gets to be the one who puts down the poor cat or dog when it's time comes and at the house she partly grieves with the family I guess.
I honestly have no idea how she does it. Just seems so ridculously sad to me.
After one particularly bad week of having to put down 3 or 4 pets in really emotional situations she was talking about quitting.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In other news, my sister is a house-call type vet so she gets to be the one who puts down the poor cat or dog when it's time comes and at the house she partly grieves with the family I guess.
I honestly have no idea how she does it. Just seems so ridculously sad to me.
After one particularly bad week of having to put down 3 or 4 pets in really emotional situations she was talking about quitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister is a vet as well. She ended up going into pathology. No problem working on animals that have already died but I know she didn't like having to put them down when she was doing regular vet work. I think it made her feel a bit better knowing that she was helping to relieve an animals suffering and ending things quickly. I sometimes wish we treated people as well.

Interesting note, she studied to be a vet pathologist at UC-Davis and was one of the folks who would go down to the beaches when a whale would beach itself and die. So she would be sloshing around in a dead whale getting tissue samples and stuff. Pretty nasty stuff. Now she works in Alaska and has worked on some pretty interesting stuff up there like moose, seals, bears ect...
Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM

i don't normally care about pet deaths too much but this is heartbreaking.. so sorry boro. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]