Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

I updated the FightLines blog with Light Heavyweight rankings. It's a pretty interesting top 10 (that looks very little like conventional top 10s).

http://fightlines.wordpress.com/2007...ight-rankings/
Old 11-26-2007, 09:14 PM

bad beat for Hughes. That said, Hughes is a certified bad azz so I'm not sure why people think he has no chance against GSP. I'm sure Hughes has been working on his stand up defensive skills. That seems to be his major weakness. I also think Hughes would handle Koschek fairly easily in a decision.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:18 AM

Hughes asked/agreed to the fight, so I wouldn't exactly call it a bad beat. And the idea of fighting St. Pierre in the states instead of the likely defense in Canada if he had beaten Serra is smart.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hughes has "earned" it by being one of the most dominating fighters in the short history of MMA. He has 2 losses since March 2001. One to B.J. Penn, one to Georges St. Pierre. He's 20-2 in that time. That's just sick. Again, I'm not even a big fan of Hughes, but I definitely don't have a problem with him having a title shot.

It's really hard for me to subjectively try and rank the welterweight division because I think a lot of guys are real close. I think right now St. Pierre, Hughes, Parisyan, and Fitch are Tier 1, and guys like Serra, Koscheck, Sanchez, etc. are Tier 2.

Going back to Karo, I just don't feel like a guy's style should dictate title fights. We've had this discussion before, and I understand the UFC is also in the entertainment business and wants to make money. But, IMO, MMA is a sport first, and you can't deny title shots because a guy has a poor style. Outside of Parisyan's inability to finish lately, I think he has a pretty fun style. He has an extraordinary ability to hit big slams, and was in a FOTY last year with Diego.

If I were setting up fights...it's hard to say because we don't know how long Serra is out for. If we go back and erase the TUF [censored], Hughes and Serra would have fought over the summer. This is what I would do right now:

Hughes vs. St. Pierre at UFC 79
Fitch vs. Parisyan at UFC 81 for a title shot
Kos vs. Marcus Davis at 80/81

[/ QUOTE ]

Fitch-Parisyan would be nice.

I have alot of respect for Hughes abilities and what he has accomplished; however I think Georges wins in a similar fashion to the second fight.

I think Fitch is a better matchup for Hughes because of physical size.

Ill default to you on Parisyan because Im sure you know much more about him but I wouldnt put him in the top tier.

No love for Koscheck? maybe they can set up a Koscheck-Alves fight in the near future. I think he got unlucky to catch GSP (after the Serra loss)
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 AM

I still want to know where Koscheck would stand versus the likes of:

Hughes, Serra, Fitch and Parisyan.

I say that cause weve only seen him versus GSP (the class of the welterweights IMO) and I think he fought Diego Sanchez but Im still not sure... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I say that cause weve only seen him versus GSP (the class of the welterweights IMO) and I think he fought Diego Sanchez but Im still not sure... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

only one I see a possibility for kosh to lay out a decision on is Serra, the others smack his ass big time
Old 11-27-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

although his style leaves much to be desired, i'd be interested in seeing koscheck vs. hughes or fitch. i think fitch would tie him into a knot.

karo didn't look like himself in his last bout. here is to seeing the real karo next time out.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 AM

You can probably watch Kos and Fitch fight at the American Kickboxing Academy where they train together.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:50 AM

lol, i did not know that. i'm only an hour away from sj!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM

speaking of American Kickboxing academy, what do you guys think of Cung Lee? He as always been one of my favorite fighters to watch and dominated K1 for a LONG time. He is the best San Shou fighter in the world hands down, and is still unbeaten in MMA. His stand up skills are def top notch, though his ground game is shaky. He has not faced any really quality fighters yet but I still think he has the tools to eventually make a push to the top of a relatively weak middle weight division.
Closed Thread