Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: hi i havbe a small issue

$500 / 20 buy-ins for a bankroll = 25 max-buy in for NL.

So, I'd start out with NL $25 max buy-in (.1/.25).

Also, get a statistical tracking software. A heads up display is going to be a must eventually, but at least have statistical tracking software to see how you're doing and why.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:25 AM

what do you mean by a "heads up display"?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:13 PM

Stat tracking software tracks your stats (what hands and positions are you calling, raising, folding, reraising etc.). It also tracks what your opponents are doing. A heads up display will take the information from your tracking software and display it next to the names of your opponents. Knowing what your opponents' tendencies are should help you make better decisions.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the advic so far guys, and i know its not a get rich quick hobby but ive always been good at cards and i think I have some potential.

Couldnt i lower the buyins required for 1/2nl by buying in for less??

also what books will help me crush the games like my nephews fingers when he talks back to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the motivation to play $1/$2 ?

You can buy in shortstacked but that is a seprate strategy and even so $500 is still not enough to shortstack the $1/$2 tables.

I really dont believe you are aware of the variance in this game. you may be good at cards. I believe that my skill level is above the avarage player for the level i play but i still had a 4 buyin downswing at the beginning of my weekend. This was due to variance and 1 bad play. Variance being that when the money went in i as ahead but even as a 70% favoutite i will lose 3 out of 10. and i lost 3 in a row. This will happen to you. The bad play aswell will happen, you are not immune.

Taking all this in do you honestly think your bankroll can survive ? If you can replace that bankroll then give it a shot. There is only one way to learn, but if your goal is to learn the online way and to build and work your way to the nosebleed levels then you need to prove over 1000's of hands that you can beat one level before you move up. This takes a bankroll that can withstand the effects of variance.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i recently depositted my $500 birthday money on party poker

I want to build my bankroll and evnetually crush the games

[/ QUOTE ]
Those goals are out of order. Learn to win first. Then your bankroll will grow.

A lot of people are telling you to play NL $25 because $500 would be a sufficient (in fact, extremely conservative) bankroll for an expert at NL $25. However, you are probably not an expert. You should not assume that you are a winning player. You should set a budget until you have evidence that you are a winning player.

There are a lot of semi-professional and professional players at NL $200. Don't be too eager to pay their rents. It is much easier to beat a table of casual players at NL $25 or lower than 4 pros and one casual player in a higher stakes game.