Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 PM

Default $100 tourney FT BvB situation

Down to the final 5 of a 66 person tournament, we are all in the money.

Blinds are 1000/2000 300 ante. Average chip stack is 30,000, I have just under 23,000, BB is chipleader with 60,000 my read is he is aggressive. Earlier I saw him push over a raise with KTo and another time overpush over a button raise with JJ, got called by KTs and won.

Action folds to me in SB and I see A6o and limp in. BB raises to 7000, I instapush allin.

Good? No FE? Ugly? I have a lot of trouble in these late tournament scenarios. If I raise PF I'm just going to go allin because Im too short to make it 6k without committing myself, and I figure I will only get called by a better hand. I can't fold an Ace in BvB with an M of 4.5. So limp raising seems like the best play, assuming he will raise, but I limp and Im OOP the rest of the hand if he just checks. I don't really like any of my options in this hand.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: $100 tourney FT BvB situation

You are not deep enough and your hand is not strong enough to trap. Just open push. Problem is you are as well off pushing and stealing the blinds as getting him to raise with junk and often losing. Push > raise/call > limpreraise here.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 PM

open shove, he checks behind too often in the bb and you lose a lot of value because A7 oop is hard to play
Old 10-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Hi Dan,

Yeah, as betgo said, I think open pushing is best here. You can't worry about getting called "only by a good hand," only about what your FE is and your equity is against the hands that do call you, and whether you are +EV. In this spot, there are some ITM considerations, but with an A high in the SB at these blinds, easy push.

Barry
Old 10-05-2007, 02:58 PM

Open shove obv, although I will say that quite often, limping in with Ax from the SB is a VERY strong play, one that is often employed by such pros as Phil Hellmuth and Daniel Alaei.

But this play only works if you your villian is VERY aggressive, and you both have over 35-40BB.

With your M of 5.1, and an effective M lower than that, getting the blinds and antes without showdowns is paramount to your success in surviving longer in the tourney.

Therefore, your chip stack ditates where and what you shove with, and honestly with your chip stack in relation to the tourney, I would just look at the one Ace and shovel heads up because that's probably as good as it will get.

Plus, look at it from the villians' standpoint. He's sitting there with decent chips, not great, but you still have enough to hurt him a bit. If you shove his BB for 5x's the pot, he need to have a real hand to wake up with to call.

But if you just limp in, and he raises, and then YOU shove, well then the math changes in relation to his hand, and the pot odds dictate his next play more than what's in his hand, which is not optimal for your stack, IMO.

So say if he has KQ/KJ/K10 type of hand, if you shove on him and he calls for 23K, then he is making the mistake, which is the point of winning poker.

But if you limp-shove, then he will be getting the odds to call, and even though you are a favorite to win, it often won't be by that much to get overly excited as well as he feels more inclinded to gambooool with some of his babies invested.

As much as that is also winning poker, getting someone to shove/call all-in with a worse hand, you let luck play more of a role as supposed to chipping and grinding away.

The one key to my recent success came from a Scott Fischman article that mentioned how most pros don't like showdowns because folding equity has so much better of a success rate than A6 vs KQ for your whole stack.

If you had a premium hand like AK, AQ, and any PP over 88.....I would love your play. But since A6 is so marginal, you really NEVER want to see a showdown with it, so just shove, and know that you will take what's in the middle without a confrontation a good portion of the time.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:06 PM

open shove this

last poster, if villain calls with KT+ it's not necessarily a mistake because OP's open shoving range should be wider than just any ace and pp
Old 10-05-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
open shove this

last poster, if villain calls with KT+ it's not necessarily a mistake because OP's open shoving range should be wider than just any ace and pp

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree with this and forgot about Lee Nelson's "KillPhil Q7 and above" argument.

Its also read and image dependent, obv as well.