Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 02:49 AM

Default a noob question about computers getting worn out

i have a dell inspiron 9300 and it seems to have gotten much slower since i initially purchased it despite the fact that i have almost nothing on the computer except for poker software. i must have a ton of free space and i use the computer solely for the internet, movies and music.

why is it slower now? do computers get worn out after awhile?

will uninstalling everything on my computer and then reinstalling it make it faster? how do i do this?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:21 AM

Default Re: a noob question about computers getting worn out

It's basically the operating system. For various reasons windows get slower and slower over time.

there's two things you can try. download a program like 'tune up utlities' http://www.tune-up.com/ - 30 day free trial - and run the 1 click optimizer. if used this program for years and it really does help.

the other more effective but more drastic method is back everything up, format your disk and reinstall windows and all your programs.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:17 PM

I found just reistalling windows works ok, but reformating first is probably the best way to go.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:40 PM

Have you defragmented the harddrive? Just make sure you have >20% free (sounds like you do).
Old 07-29-2007, 01:29 PM

what is formating your disk? i looked on wikipedia but didnt understand it.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:30 PM

Formatting wipes everything off your hard drive. All of your programs get removed as well as the operating system. It lets you start from ground zero on a clean slate.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Most Dells should have a built in recovery or come with a recovery cd. Try tapping F12 right after you turn on your computer. You should choose destructive recovery, this will go through the recovery process and restore your computer back to how it was the day when you bought it (so make sure you back up all your data first). If the F12 doesn't work, your machine should have come with a CD that you insert into the PC then reboot. It will go through the same process as the F12, so make sure you backup your data.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:26 AM

is it possible to back up Norton Anti Virus? I purchased and downloaded directly from the internet. I just checked my original email and it seems I purchased this:

1 Extended Download Service License Certificate Download
$ 6.99

But I dont see anywhere on the website where its possible to log into an account or mentions redownloading Norton.

edit: by entering my order number and password, it does bring me to a screen that shows my order, and it says "Start Download", however, it says that my extended download is good for 1 year after date of purchase, which means that it should have already expired.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:05 AM

So the subscription is for the virus definition updates. You can always download Norton, but it wont keep the virus scanner up to date with the latest viruses (you need to keep the virus scanner up to date.)

7 bucks for a one year sub is about right, so you need to buy another year.

my advise is to take this opportunity to get rid of norton (it sucks) and get something decent. Eset NOD32 is what I use. there are good free virus checkers available (avg?) but i havent used them. NOD32 is awesome

This is a big thing you are attempting. If you have a Dell and you have the reinstall disk that should be pretty easy. if not get some help.

make sure you know how to back up your poker tracker and anything else important.

the guy earlier was right. a reformat is not neccessary, however a quick format only takes a second and thats much better than accidently have two installs on windows on the same partition.

have a look at this

http://www.cyberwalker.com/topic.php?id=45

make sure you are 100% sure you can do it before you start.

it might take four or 5 hours to get everthing back and working

edit. i could do this in my sleep now but ive messed up a good few computer learning how. it would be better if you get some help. everyones got a computer geek neighbour and they're usually happt to help if you pretend to be there friend for a few hours.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:00 AM

FWIW I also have a dell inspiron9300 from a few years ago. And I format and reinstall windows whenever it starts to get slow and it works like NEW. I recomend starting with clean slate.

GL