Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Ask edtost about school [censored]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a 3.3 at syracuse in math/poly sci. I'm a senior, my last two years have been fairly dismal(2.8 I guess?), and my freshman/sophomore years were pretty good (3.7 or something). grad school and business school are things I'm considering doing in the future, but I don't think it's much worth it to go to a second-tier or worse school. did I shoot myself in the foot for messing around the last two years?

[/ QUOTE ]

grad school, probably. business school, likely not, depending on what you're able to do after graduation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this. Depending on what you mean by graduate school, it's very competitive, much more so than professional schools such as Business School or even Law School I think. I have a friend with the similar credentials as the person's in this question, and he got into NYU B-school by working for a few years, making progress on his CFAs, and doing well on the GMAT.

If you're interested in pursuing a PhD, you will have to publish some papers, or work in a directly related job such as being a research assistant in an academic institution (or something similar like the Federal Resefve etc.) to be competitive.

My impression is that professional schools are more self-selecting than graduate programs. I.e., if you're willing to pay the substantial costs, it's usually because you have a clear idea that they are worth it in terms of your career. On the other hand, many people want to go to graduate school simply because it's interesting or they're not really sure what they want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

hence why i said he is probably screwed for grad school, and likely not screwed for business school, depending on what he does after graduation. reading comprehension is a wonderful thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, my bad. I read your response as meaning he is probably still good for graduate school, but not business school. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a 3.3 at syracuse in math/poly sci. I'm a senior, my last two years have been fairly dismal(2.8 I guess?), and my freshman/sophomore years were pretty good (3.7 or something). grad school and business school are things I'm considering doing in the future, but I don't think it's much worth it to go to a second-tier or worse school. did I shoot myself in the foot for messing around the last two years?

[/ QUOTE ]

grad school, probably. business school, likely not, depending on what you're able to do after graduation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this. Depending on what you mean by graduate school, it's very competitive, much more so than professional schools such as Business School or even Law School I think. I have a friend with the similar credentials as the person's in this question, and he got into NYU B-school by working for a few years, making progress on his CFAs, and doing well on the GMAT.

If you're interested in pursuing a PhD, you will have to publish some papers, or work in a directly related job such as being a research assistant in an academic institution (or something similar like the Federal Resefve etc.) to be competitive.

My impression is that professional schools are more self-selecting than graduate programs. I.e., if you're willing to pay the substantial costs, it's usually because you have a clear idea that they are worth it in terms of your career. On the other hand, many people want to go to graduate school simply because it's interesting or they're not really sure what they want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks!

I have no problem with reading miscomprehension that inspires a good response. not that yours wasn't good, edtost.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with reading miscomprehension that inspires a good response. not that yours wasn't good, edtost.

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither; i suppose i could've picked a nicer way to keep up my record of being right about everything and a fountain of useless information. perhaps one of these [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] might have helped?