Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (10/9 - ME Final Table)

I don't think Jerry Yang is a great poker player but he seems like a nice guy and will use the money to help his children and others which is better than blowing it on bottle service, hookers and blow.
I also think he is a very smart guy because he knew he wasn't the best, most experienced player so he developed an aggressive plan and stuck to it and won. He did get very lucky on the way but you pretty much have to in order to win any Donkament.

He was the only one that seemed to be playing to win and not just move up.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was the only one that seemed to be playing to win and not just move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to say Philip Hilm was definately playing to win, and not just move up. His two loose plays that moved him from chiplead to first out were an attempt to wrest table control from yang, who seemed totally out of line.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:50 AM

Jesus [censored] Christ. I [censored] hate Jerry Yang and his [censored] blessed friends.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, can't help but wonder how Scotty would have handled Yang had he not busto'd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably would've been impatient and dumped all his chips to Yang.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 AM

Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 PM

You can spend 11 months arguing and explaining to people how poker is not a game of luck and then WSOP month comes...and the ME comes.... and short term luck makes few more idiots millionaires.

It is very annoying for a Pro or a semi-pro player that spends countless hours studying the game to watch nonsense like this.

However...this year with the introduction of the prayer at the poker table accompanied with the "Hallelujah choir" in the background and few random "make me a believer" licks all I can say with 100% certainty is that the 2007 WSOP ME-FT is the worst poker spectacle I`ve ever seen and I doubt anything will top it with decades to come. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can spend 11 months arguing and explaining to people how poker is not a game of luck and then WSOP month comes...and the ME comes.... and short term luck makes few more idiots millionaires.

It is very annoying for a Pro or a semi-pro player that spends countless hours studying the game to watch nonsense like this.

However...this year with the introduction of the prayer at the poker table accompanied with the "Hallelujah choir" in the background and few random "make me a believer" licks all I can say with 100% certainty is that the 2007 WSOP ME-FT is the worst poker spectacle I`ve ever seen and I doubt anything will top it with decades to come. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL Donkaments?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It gets WAY worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I can't wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh God, his bustout hand is *hilarious*

[/ QUOTE ]

Can ANYONE explain how a rational player could take this blind push approach?

is there ANY possible gain from doing this, rather than pushing preflop?

All I could think is that Kahn was surprised that he wasn't RR preflop, and somehow thought "I have a big hand" was a reverse-tell.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just guessing but I would think that having some of his family at the FT played a part in all the prayaments...both because of all the pre-game hallelujahs (you know they had some sort of pre-FT mass or something) and because they are all right there watching, praying, etc. It's contagious to a point and there is some peer pressure to 'show one's faith'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't help but laugh at the thought of God helping someone in a poker game, unless half of his family had cancer.

But, since I can't stand the sports demos either, I'm not going to get too riled up about it here.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL Donkaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is by far one of the better posts I've read on here.

For a game that involves lying, deception, and gambling......there sure are a LOT of Jesus freaks who play.

Asking Jesus/God to help you hit a card/hold up is almost like trying to get money from an insurance company. You know they are probably there, but they 'aint listening and you 'aint gonna see none of it.

I remember watching this live and saying to myself, "I hope Jesus Christ himself goes down to Jerry and tells him, 'Hey, a*shole, does it look like I'm the one dealing and shuffling the cards? Pray to the dealer, not me. I have enough prayers to answer and your just going to have to get in line behind the Cubs and Indians fans like everyone else'."

Although I will lol when one of those "Armageddon Preachers" you see on the corner handing out pamphlets in any of the major cities in America holds up a sign that says, "Jesus Christ is Coming! End of the World, One Time!"