Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Comment from my born again Christian Aunt

[ QUOTE ]
that would be my last contact with that aunt if it were me

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Recently my uncle had his best friend die suddenly in a car crash. Obviously this was very hard on him to cope with but he got through it. On the day after his friend died my aunt, his sister, was expressing her condolences when afterwords she states that it is too bad that he is gong to hell.

My uncle has been raised a christian is whole life and would never be best friends with anyone of questionable character.

Does a true christian accept what she says and not defend their deceased friend or do you become outraged at her remark?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the guy who died was an atheist & was proud of the fact that he was hell bound. If that's the case, then the aunt was only stating the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

So she was not out of line at all? Jesus would approve of her actions in this instance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you didn't tell us much about the guy who died, we have to assume that he wasn't Christian. The aunt was simply stating the truth as she knew it. I'm not defending her one way or the other...she's just stating fact. I agree that she could have been a little nicer about it without being blunt.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
she's just stating fact

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop trying to justify her actions by saying she is just telling it how it is. Racism and hatred veiled under the institution of religion is still hatred and racism.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
she's just stating fact

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop trying to justify her actions by saying she is just telling it how it is. Racism and hatred veiled under the institution of religion is still hatred and racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did racism get into this? He didn't say anything about racism and I doubt he meant anything about hatred. He is being radically truthful in the sense that no one knows when they will die so some religious people believe being extremely frank will shock others out of their complacency.

I know this seems callous and offends many people, but some people are really afraid of hell and they want to communicate urgency to inspire others to action. This is like the Old Testament prophets. They heard the urgency of God's message so strongly that they never sugarcoated their words.

Its the spectrum thing again. Where some people are on the "fearful" end of the spectrum and some people are on the "love" end, but the truth is still the truth, its just a matter of taking the right tack depending on the circumstances and individual.

But it sounds like this person spoke off the top of her head in an inappropriate situation and didn't use any tact, but anybody can be guilty of sticking their foot in their mouth.

If you want to hold all born agains responsible for 1 person's actions isn't that discrimination against a religious group?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM

A little more information about the people involved. My uncle is a farmer who was raised as a christian his whole life and raised 3 daughters all of good character. Married to a christian wife and never been divorced.

The aunt is on her second marriage but has raised 3 of her own children and been a step mom for 2 others. Decent mother but has not really had a career since her first marriage. Her first husband was a rich real estate developer and she got a nice chunk of change and moved into her own nice house. She remarried 5 years later and became a born again christain between marriages.

The man who died I do not have much information on but I do know he had a girlfriend. As I said before my uncle would never let a bad person come so close to his immediate family.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did this Aunt exhibit love?

[/ QUOTE ]

why change the subject? i thought we were talking about whether what she did is judging.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know this seems callous and offends many people, but some people are really afraid of hell and they want to communicate urgency to inspire others to action. This is like the Old Testament prophets. They heard the urgency of God's message so strongly that they never sugarcoated their words.

Its the spectrum thing again. Where some people are on the "fearful" end of the spectrum and some people are on the "love" end, but the truth is still the truth, its just a matter of taking the right tack depending on the circumstances and individual.

[/ QUOTE ]

so are you going to admit you were wrong about all that judging stuff?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

John 7:24 (King James Version)

24Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

John 7:24 (King James Version)

24Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a quote about good and bad judging.

we're arguing about judging or not judging.

once we decide that she was judging, then we can wonder if her judging was good or bad.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:15 PM

Judging is complicated Sephus. There is actually more than 1 type of judging.

Here research it for yourself. There are multiple articles.

http://www.rbc.net/search.aspx?term=judging

This one might particularly help you to understand the distinctions between types of judging:

http://www.rbc.org/odb/odb-02-24-06.shtml