Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: this rule...
OMG YES GILD PLZ HELP 10 47.62%
wtf no ppl should be allowed to make horrible threads!!! 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2007, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Poll: Who is worse Yang or Gold?

[ QUOTE ]
The only difference is that Yang actually said the word 'God' in his prayers instead of yelling out, 'Come on, one time' or 'Let me get lucky just this once.' It is the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest I am not a big fan of any poker player yelling out any of those things.

When I watch the players that just watch the board quietly, I know they are hoping they will be the lucky ones, but I like the way they have the class to not be yelling out for the cards they want.

I don't have anything against Phil Laak (for example), but I would like him more if he didn't act like a child when the board is being dealt. A bit of dignity would be nice from some of these players.

Just compare someone like Chris Fergusen to any of these idiots - when have you ever heard him yelling out anything as the cards are being dealt? Compare how he acts when he wins or loses with classless idiots like Hellmuth - I know who I would prefer to act like.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well then would you be "appalled" if he asked Santa?, the Easter Bunny?, Little Green Men? Whats the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it is just the tackiness of openly praying to your god for the cards to fall in a way that makes your opponent lose. Pretty much every hand I am in I hope my opponent loses, but I wouldn't openly say "I hope you lose this hand" to my opponent.

I suppose I find in even worse when Christians tell me what they are about - goodwill to all men, charity, do unto others, etc. Then you hear a Christian openly and publicly praying to their god for someone to lose to them so they can become richer - maybe I'm the only one that finds that rather hypocritical.

I also have this thought in my head when Yang is praying to God to give him the cards he wants - "as a Christian, is that really what you think your God is about?"

[/ QUOTE ]
So, while you don't believe, you are troubled by what he believes. Personally, I welcome players who believe some outside force will save them from poor decisions.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 AM

Gold last year was worse for me. He was too damned arrogant. Yeah he had all the chips and played well, no one else really came close to him. I gotta give credit to Yang for starting the table as a short stack and within about 15 hands he got the chip lead.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have anything against Phil Laak (for example)

[/ QUOTE ]

In Phil's defense, IIRC, the only time he did these ridiculous antics was at a WPT invitational and on Poker after Dark. He's never done it at a "real" tournament.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Skill: Hard to say playing wise. Yang is more down-to-earth. He knows where he stands in terms of skill and talent. Gold is more deluded and think he's a top pro. I give that tentatively to Yang.

Personality: Yang, although a religious freak, is a genuine and very honest person. Gold is an arrogant douche who tried to screw his backers out of millions of dollars, bend various rules and breaches poker etiquette. Advantage goes to Yang.

Loser: Jamie Gold
Old 10-12-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm sure no one ever prays for a miracle card to come out... right? The only difference is that Yang actually said the word 'God' in his prayers instead of yelling out, 'Come on, one time' or 'Let me get lucky just this once.' It is the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not the same thing. If Yang had said, "Please God, let me get trips," I don't think anyone would blink." But he said something like, "Show me your miracles father." And then he started talking about spreading God's word. That's taking it farther than "Please God, don't crack my Aces."
Old 10-12-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, both of last ME winners are terrible players, but who do you think is worse and why?

[/ QUOTE ]
[x] They're both better than OP, who is jealous.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yang is by far a worse ambassador for the game
and that is what concern me

[/ QUOTE ]
A better ambassador was the guy who was served papers for not agreeing to pay off his obligation to another player? Not all ambassadors need to be boisterous. I would imagine most of the world looks at the two of them and sees Yang as a nice fellow -- someone good for the game and more of an everyman then what appeared to be a slick hollywood slimeball. I'm not saying he (Gold) is or was but that perception is easier to get to then thinking of Yang as an everyman/decent guy. Something 90% of WSOP ME players can identify with.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm sure no one ever prays for a miracle card to come out... right? The only difference is that Yang actually said the word 'God' in his prayers instead of yelling out, 'Come on, one time' or 'Let me get lucky just this once.' It is the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not the same thing. If Yang had said, "Please God, let me get trips," I don't think anyone would blink." But he said something like, "Show me your miracles father." And then he started talking about spreading God's word. That's taking it farther than "Please God, don't crack my Aces."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree. He did carry on a bit too much.

If (when) I get to the ME FT my line will be, "Oh LORD, if you don't make this hand stand up I swear I will be the next Hitler!" That should get its own thread! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Phil's defense, IIRC, the only time he did these ridiculous antics was at a WPT invitational and on Poker after Dark. He's never done it at a "real" tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that he acts like a kid sometimes while playing very solid poker as a deception - maybe an opponent is more likely to call a value bet from someone acting the fool.

But I really do like Phil Laak and have seen him playing without acting like an ADHD kid on a suger rush, and he just played well while acting like a normal human being. To me this was a much more likeable version of Laak.