Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-01-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Is micro limit poker or just a crapshoot?

Hi,

I've been playing micro limit for a few weeks now, I can't work out if this is really a proper poker game as most players seem to treat it like a play money game. Is there a certain limit when players respect their cash?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Is micro limit poker or just a crapshoot?

Without reading. No.

After reading. No.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:47 PM

Sadly yes and that is the level where I have to decide if I am good enough to continue. Luckily for me I haven't run into to many players that respect their cash at the levels I play at so I am quite happy with that.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:54 PM

It is what you make it. Remember that the objective is to make good decisions.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:01 PM

Move too a level where they respected your raises.

If you cant mirco limit poker, poker is not the game for you(thats if your playing it solely as a means of making money)
Old 12-01-2007, 03:25 PM

This begs the question as to what level a person should expect to make money as opposed to being there simply to gain experience. And how many tables would a person need to play at that level to make money.

Personally, I don't see the level I am going to start at (.01/.02) as being a money making proposition. It is simply to learn.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Be happy that they don't respect your raises or their cash; it makes the game more profitable for you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2007, 04:02 PM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest difficulty in micro limit is that it's hard to put a player on a hand because they will often play any two cards or overplay ridiculous hands, and they suck out on you. The biggest difficulty in playing high stakes is that it's hard to put a player on a hand because they have a sophisticated betting pattern and won't pay you off if you make an obvious big hand.

Either way, playing the people and finding an edge that makes the game profitable will be a prerequisite. It's just done in different ways in micro limits.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:23 PM

That first part is why I have no money on PokerStars right now. I built it up to about $5.00, after winning forty cents in a freeroll and then building it up to a dollar, and lost it in one hand in a .01/.02 room.

All I could think of after the hand was, "You called me with that?"
Old 12-01-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've been playing micro limit for a few weeks now, I can't work out if this is really a proper poker game as most players seem to treat it like a play money game. Is there a certain limit when players respect their cash?

[/ QUOTE ]
As you move up, fewer players seem to hate money. However, that doesn't mean you can't build valuable experience or win money in low stakes games. The lessons I learned playing for pennies worked with a 4 figure big blind, and lessons I learned crushing $5 SNGs helped near the end of a multitable tournament with a 4 figure buy-in.

The achievable win rates are far greater in low stakes games (in proportion with the blinds) than in high stakes games. This means you get much more rapid feedback on how well you are playing in low stakes games, and it takes much less time to double your bankroll.

There are bad poker players at all levels. Bad players make winning possible. If you play for higher stakes, you will wish for more bad players.