Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-13-2007, 06:34 AM

Default Cash game VS SnG

Hi
Although I have very good results in SnG on UB, my cash game play is a disaster. I always lose my stack with a second best hand !
Do you have some advices to give to me ?
Do you have some topic links or good books about cash game to put forward ?
Is the play so different from SnG ?
Did you have same problem ?
Thanks for your futur answers or opinions
Babaorumi
Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Cash game VS SnG

please be more specific on the limits you play.

Good book for cash games: Professional No limit Hold'em
Old 11-13-2007, 09:23 AM

ok I play 0.05/0.10. Thanks for the book
Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 AM

The main differences between cash game and SNG play are
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Stack depth. Stacks are deeper in cash games except perhaps on the first level or two. This means there is more money left over on later streets, and speculative hands may get much better implied odds in cash games.
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Survival value. 60% of the prize pool in a single table SNG is awarded when you make it into the money. This decreases the value of accumulating chips. It also means you can steal more from other people, since they don't want to be knocked out. Survival isn't nearly as important in other tournaments, but typical players greatly overvalue survival.
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Number of players. It's important in a SNG to play well when there are 2-4 players. When you play cash games, you might only play with 5-6 players, or only with 8-10 players.
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Antes. In late rounds of tournaments, antes greatly increase the dead money, rewarding players who are stealing blinds or otherwise getting involved in pots.

I think it is much simpler to learn to be a winning SNG player than a winning cash game player. If you are used to SNGs, you may want to start by buying in for 40 big blinds, which will simplify the game and make stack depth more similar to what you have seen in tournaments.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:38 AM

to com in with 40 BB yeah why not, but you won't be able to outplay your deep stack opponents..
Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 PM

I think pzhon makes a good post
Old 11-13-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to com in with 40 BB yeah why not, but you won't be able to outplay your deep stack opponents..

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that there is no skill in the game when the stacks are at most 40 BB? No, there is plenty of room to have a big advantage. Strong tournament players have a substantial advantage while playing with shorter stacks almost all of the time. Even with 20 BB, there is room to raise and make 2 large bets, or to make 3 large bets in a limped pot.

If you mean that you think it is a disadvantage to have 40 BB when your opponents have 100 BB, this is wrong. When you have a short stack, you are free to ignore the chips beyond your stack. You can concentrate on playing optimally to take your opponents' chips, while the deep stacks can't play optimally to take yours because they have to worry about the other deep stacks.

I usually have a full stack on the table. However, when I buy in short (some table conditions are easy to exploit with a short stack), I expect to outplay my opponents a lot.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:44 PM

Great posts pzhon. Also, thanks for all your posts on bankroll management. They have helped me immensely.

Here's pzhon's latest bankroll post:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=3&vc=1
Very, very good read. Sorry for hijacking... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jeezuz ban

dont listen. You buy in for full stack and learn the game properly.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This proves one thing: That momma was right when she said don't talk to strangers. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]