Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 11-28-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Couple spots vs same LAG, 5/10 NL live

Some spots from last night at Flagler's, in my regular 5/10 NL game.

Background: Preflop, I am the tightest player these guys have ever seen. This is largely because I adjust to the max buyin of $100 (I know it's absurd), which nobody else does. I have been either folding or popping it to $60 (after limpers) with solid hands (showed down TT a couple times).

Villain is a bad LAG who talks lots of poker math and theory, so obnoxious. Very bad though, saw him make bad calls preflop, chase foolishly postflop, etc. Once he verbally declared he was going fishing before making a call. Nonetheless, I haven't really seen him taking the lead postflop while out of line.

Hand #1: I have $500. Villain covers.
He limps UTG, basically everybody limps around to me, I limp along from the button with A8spades. Flop comes QQ6, villain bets $30, some terrible player calls, I call. Turn is a 7, villain bets $75, bad player folds. Hero folds.

Now a bit of hostility develops, since after the hand I asked villain how much money he had. (I was trying to figure out whether I should have called). Villian obv got annoyed, first making faces and complaining that we weren't even in a hand, then proudly saying "more than you." Anyways.

Hand #2: I have a little over 500, Villain covers. Villain limps UTG, few more limpers, I make it $60 total out of the bb with JJ. Only villain calls, fairly quickly. Flop comes 886. I bet 100, villian thinks for a few seconds and calls. He looks comfortable. Turn is a 2, complete brick. I make it $200.

Edit: When I reached for my chips on the turn, I saw him reach for his. (lol livetellboxaments).

In hand #2, what do you do without the tell? With the tell?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Couple spots vs same LAG, 5/10 NL live

Hand 1: i still fold, cant imagine him laying down a pocket pair here. Calling is terrible imo because he will c/c a lot
of rivers wirh a pocket pair, and the showdownvalue of your hand is, lets say, limited.

Hand 2: c/c the turn is really bad, because he will often bluff or bet weaker pairs. With the tell id still bet/fold because instacalling (or at least taking the chips fast) means weakness to me, sth like 77 55. Without id simply bet/fold here as well.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:35 PM

Re: your plan to b/f the turn in hand 2: Do you realise that after betting $200 I have about $170 left?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Hand 2: In 50BB live poker, you really can't fold an overpair ever. If he's Laggy, he'll bet the turn if checked to, so I would go for a CRai. As played, bet/call.

The tell doesn't really change anything for me. When you're this shallow, I say [censored] the tell and get the money in.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:06 PM

Interesting suggestion to CRAI. The speed with which he called the flop made me think he could be in calldown mode, so I didn't want to give a free card and have a difficult decision on the river. Also I wasn't sure he would be able to lay down any sort of pair or draw, so I figured it would make sense to bet.

Re: the tell: FWIW, it's actually a common sign of weakness which usually says "please don't bet."
Old 11-28-2007, 04:18 PM

You didn't say if there was a flush draw on the flop. If there isn't, there's not alot of straight draws on the flop: some gutterballs, and 57. I think going for a CRai is worth the risk of letting him draw to his 4-outer for free.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Sorry about that, there was no 4-outer on the flop. I'm starting to like your suggestion to CRAI. What do other people think? Anybody care to run some numbers?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:27 PM

crai is very standard.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
crai is very standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, u have 50bb. I dont' beleive in making reads with 50bb when u have an overpair.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Ok, let me try to explain a general thought process about bad live players.

On 2+2, we're very used to the idea of thinking about a hand in multiple ways. I.e, villain could call flop partially for showdown value, partially to take pot away if I check the turn. However, I haven't seen evidence that most bad players think this way. Usually, people think about a hand in only one way. If they have a strong hand, they play it for value. If they have a gutshot, they may call a big raise to spike their card, but are far less likely to call the flop as a float with the intention of betting the turn when checked to.

In this case, I think that if villain is playing a small pair, he is in calldown mode, and consequently highly unlikely to bet the turn (thereby increasing the size of a pot he was only aiming to calldown in in the first place). Also keep in mind that I said I have not yet seen villain out of line when raising postflop.