Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

[ QUOTE ]
The top offender is still the phantom sips from the unopened Xyience cans. Got damn that [censored] was ridiculous. I still love Kenny Florian though.

On that note, is Kenny Florian the best striker at 155?

Also, does anyone else think that Dan Henderson has the best chance of dethroning Anderson Silva? I think it's pretty fair to say that he has thoroughly dominated every single one of his fights in the UFC.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think Penn would outstrike Florian. I think Florian will likely get relegated to a gate keeper role at 155. There is so much talent at 155.

Hendo has a pretty good chance at taking down Silva. It would be awesome if Hendo wins the first one, Silva wins the second, and it went to a third fight. That would probably be a great trilogy.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i really hate how rankings are always retrospective instead of predictive

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. I don't mind if that's the goal set out by the rankers. For instance, would you put B.J. Penn in the top 10 lightweights in the world, even though he's only fought in the weight class once in the past 4 years?

[/ QUOTE ]
penn now fights at lightweight and i think hes pretty clearly one of the ten best fighters in that division, so if i was doing a top ten using my own criteria i would rank him

i just think "who is the best" is a much more interesting question than "who has accomplished the most"
Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
penn now fights at lightweight and i think hes pretty clearly one of the ten best fighters in that division, so if i was doing a top ten using my own criteria i would rank him

i just think "who is the best" is a much more interesting question than "who has accomplished the most"

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, I think "Who is the best" type of rankings are too subjective. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just prefer as much objectivity as possible.

For instance, I've nearly completed my first beatpaths style graph for the middleweight division. Here's how the system ranks the MW top 10:

1. Anderson Silva
2. Yushin Okami
3. Paulo Filho
4. Matt Lindland
5. Yoshihiro Akiyama
6. Denis Kang
7. Robbie Lawler
8. Rich Franklin
9. Dan Henderson
T. Alan Belcher

I'm gonna start a blog up eventually and have an explanation for this. One criteria that I should note is that I only counted fights in the MW division in the past 3 years. Anyway, Okami benefits a lot from his DQ win over Silva. Belcher's probably the only "huh?" guy on there, and he benefits a lot from his win over Kalib Starnes. The guys at 11 and 12 are Akihiro Gono and Nathan Marquardt.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 PM

i am still in the middle of watching every ufc fight i can get my hands on, but would just like to say that rich franklin is (was?) sick. first time i saw him was the silva fight so i didn't really understand how impressive that victory was for silva, but i just watched a bunch of franklin's earlier fights where he just destroys good competition and i was pretty impressed. (i think you made a post about his credentials somewhere after the silva fight, mikey, so that's why i checked him out). i watched him vs tanner/shamrock/quarry/dewees/mcdonald and jorge rivera. wow.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 PM

MMAjunkie reporting Yushin Okami re-upped with the UFC. Glad to see I was wrong about him going to K-1.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 AM

not just you, but meltzer was wrong too. It seemed like a done deal because K-1 was offering okami some really good money. He never really wanted to leave UFC, but it looked like money was gonna talk
Old 11-21-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not just you, but meltzer was wrong too. It seemed like a done deal because K-1 was offering okami some really good money. He never really wanted to leave UFC, but it looked like money was gonna talk

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he's getting no love in the UFC I would go to K-1 if I was asian.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MMAjunkie reporting Yushin Okami re-upped with the UFC. Glad to see I was wrong about him going to K-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? He's extremely boring.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? He's extremely boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I don't think he's boring. 2) He's a top 10 fighter in the most shallow division currently in the UFC. 3) He deserves a title shot after Hendo/Silva.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:41 PM

What's exciting about this guy? Generally he just takes it extremely slow and lets the other guy do something and hopefully mess up. His GnP is pretty good but not awesome, same with his wrestling.

The last 3 minutes of the Franklin fight were pretty exciting, but ya the guy is a snoozer. I hope he doesn't get a title shot because he fights for decisions. Boring. Same thing with Machida, screw that guy too. Lots of talent, can't finish, more importantly doesn't really try to finish.
Closed Thread