Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Incredibly stupid question regarding clothing/weddings.

[ QUOTE ]

You can go to Macys and buy a relatively nice charcoal Calvin Klein suit for under $500. It's not a huge investment, and like others have mentioned, it makes you look much more put together than slacks and a blazer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a really hard time believing someone in a $500 CK suit is gonna look better than me in a jacket and slacks. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just have a really hard time seeing it.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:52 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You can go to Macys and buy a relatively nice charcoal Calvin Klein suit for under $500. It's not a huge investment, and like others have mentioned, it makes you look much more put together than slacks and a blazer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a really hard time believing someone in a $500 CK suit is gonna look better than me in a jacket and slacks. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just have a really hard time seeing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's the difference between nailing a hot Southern bridesmaid at FFK's wedding and not, I'm going to go with the suit.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's the difference between nailing a hot Southern bridesmaid at FFK's wedding and not, I'm going to go with the suit.

[/ QUOTE ]
My point is I don't see how it possibly could be.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:03 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My point is I don't see how it possibly could be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, jeez, don't ask me, as Fast Food Knight.

My feeling about this whole thing is that you might as well get the whole suit at once, just so you don't have to worry about coordinating your pants with your jacket--a task I am not skilled at. Maybe you guys are more fashion aware than I am, but I'm going to go down the well-worn path.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:12 PM

GOT,

do you dress very well and ballerishly but just not like suits?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My point was just that if money's an issue, a $500 suit will look much better than a $350 blazer and a $150 pair of slacks. This suit looks better than your khakis and blazer. Trust me.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:22 PM

Um, if you've ever worn short sleeves and a tie, stop now. There are obviously job related exceptions where we've all come to expect it, but it still always looks like ass. Like you can't afford the sleeves.

Also, sports coats for anything but weekday business attire? no. If it's something you mix and match with different khakis or slacks, that's fine. If it's part of the best outfit you own, you're in trouble.

Even I own a suit. Cause I live in hippy california and never have to wear anything but jeans and tshirts to work, I can get away with brown. If I was on the east coast again, I would have a black or blue one.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DrewDevil,

You have failed at reading like 3 times. Congrats!

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked for occasions where it is unacceptable to wear a suit, and I gave three examples. Not sure how I failed at reading, but it seems like you've convinced yourself that your ratty sports coat is always fine. So go with that! Congrats, you dress bad!

[/ QUOTE ]

You said

"Dids, I think you are making the mistake of believing that a sportcoat + tie + slacks is equally nice/dressy as a suit. That's not true, a suit is a definite step up."

I've said that I agree with that statement 3 times in this thread.

Then you repeated some nonsense that isn't the case. There's a difference between "will not look your best" and unacceptable". If you're going to keep up with that blather you're basically just trolling the thread. You're talking black and white and we're in shades of gray.

You need to be about a 7 on the "not a retard" to ride this thread, you're at a 4.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:44 PM

"Um, if you've ever worn short sleeves and a tie, stop now."

I do this when I'm wearing a jacket and know that I will never be taking it off. Mostly because my weight changes have left my nice clothes collection a little suspect.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:30 PM

One word about short sleeves with a tie: Dilbert

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]