Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: New home donkament I can\'t seem to adapt to

I play in a similar game. Blinds increase every time someone busts out, donks betting and calling with any two. "I know that I am beat but I have to call" is heard almost every other hand, etc, etc.

Solution for me: don't get too fancy. Play the strong hands hard, see some cheap flops and try to get the most money in the pot when I stand a good chance to win.

Don't bluff much - these guys aren't even thinking about what you might have - "I have an Ace so I'll call."

Call down with more marginal hands - top pair weak kicker, 2nd pair, etc - you'll win more in this kind of environment than you might think. (NOTE: I'm not suggesting this in a game of average or better players, only in a donkfest like he describes and like I am playing.)

When you get a big stack and the blinds are going up, tighten up and get aggressive.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Apart from just forgetting about this game, I do have some untested advice.

I would suspect that the golden hand in this game would be AK followed by AQ for multiway pots. For one or two opponents, I would add pairs from middle to higher. With 15-20 hands for an entire tourney, you don't have time to wait for sets, flushes and straights. Top pair and two pair are the hands you are going to have to push and hope for the best.

You are essentially going to have to play a shortstack game. So with those hands above, you are looking to get all your chips in. You can do this by limping and waiting for an expected raise, raising and moving in on any flop, or just moving in preflop. You'll have to decide which of those is best given your current stack and the play of the others.

I don't see any room for poker here. You are basically looking for a chance to double up and then sit tight until you can double up again. You may only need to win three hands to win this tourney.

I would fold most other hands except for some BB play looking for a miracle flop or limping in late position if you feel no raise is coming.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Also - expect to get in the with the best hand and get run down. This seems to happen a lot in our game with so many multi way pots.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:27 AM

This game has one huge problem: the payout structure.

People going all in with 85 and stuff like that is great for you.

However, having just 1 person make money out of 10 or more people (you mention multiple tables) will not cut it for you in the long run.

Find a game that gives reasonable payouts.

Colima420
Old 03-13-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Third problem: There's at least one mechanic in the game. I've seen poorly stacked decks and a marked deck in play. I've got the cheating figured out, and I'm tempted to take advantage of it rather than risk pissing off a game's worth of union workers by accusing one of cheating.

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure it's an elaborate cheating scam. I'm sure that it's either a bunch of horrendously unlucky donks consistently losing to the host who consistently gets AA/KK/AKs when he deals or a bunch of horrendously retarded donks who can't conceive of their friend cheating them by stacking himself consistent AA/KK/AKs/flopped nut straight with garbage. There's SOME kind of fix in the game, but I think it's the kind a not-so-drunk retard sets against a bunch of really drunk retards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not doing anything about this, or profiting from this, is condoning it IMO. While I could see taking advantage of the cheat, why screw over everyone else who is being cheated?

Your mom isn't going to be happy when I talk to her.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure it's an elaborate cheating scam. I'm sure that it's either a bunch of horrendously unlucky donks consistently losing to the host who consistently gets AA/KK/AKs when he deals or a bunch of horrendously retarded donks who can't conceive of their friend cheating them by stacking himself consistent AA/KK/AKs/flopped nut straight with garbage. There's SOME kind of fix in the game, but I think it's the kind a not-so-drunk retard sets against a bunch of really drunk retards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look. Dealing yourself AK, AA or KK everytime is easy. Doing it in a game with nothing but drunk idiots makes it even easier.

Nobody's going to look for him cheating. He wouldn't even have to mark the cards with a bunch of drunks. Just rifle through the deck until he can put the cards he wants on the bottom.

If he's cheating, he has the perfect scenario for it. Bottom dealing, when you're only bottom dealing to one person (yourself) in a room full of drunks is something that is infact soooo easy it almost begs to be done. Not that cheating is right, but, if this guy has AA, KK, or AK EVERYTIME, he's probably been doing it since this game started (which was probably a long time ago) and there's a good chance that you are the first person to ever even get a wiff of his cheating.

Calling out the host will not go down well. Remember you're on his turf and you're going to need nothing short of video evidence to not get your head taken off. Your solutions are as follows:

1.) Cheat (not recommended)

2.) Play the lotto and hope to get heads up with the cheater where you force a cut everytime he deals.

3.) Don't ever play any hands he deals(even if they are premiums)and watch what goes down. Folding AQ when a suspected cheat deals it to you should not be that hard to do.

4.) Just relax. Realize this game is not the WSOP Main Event and have fun. It's only $10. If you have something better to do with your $10 that night, don't play. (And I'm not making fun of the size of the buy-in. One of the most competitive and intense games I've ever played in had a total prize pool of $3.) You have to look at this game as a party and not as a competitive event.

5.) If you can't play and have fun in this atmosphere with these people, or adapt your game to this structure, or control your emotions enough to stay cool when you loose to an 83 then you SHOULD NOT PLAY.

Not everybody that picks up a deck of cards wants to be a master of the game. Suprisingly, there are people who just like to socialize and have a good time. The game is second or third in line.

G O N E F O R E V E R
Old 03-13-2007, 05:01 PM

"Not everybody that picks up a deck of cards wants to be a master of the game. Suprisingly, there are people who just like to socialize and have a good time. The game is second or third in line."

And you think you SHOULDN'T say something, or make it obvious what the cheat is doing?

Sorry, I can't agree.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been invited into a new home game situation. It's a $10 buyin STT with a bunch of drunken clueless people who think calling all ins on the first hand with 85o is a good play.

Third problem: There's at least one mechanic in the game. I've seen poorly stacked decks and a marked deck in play. I've got the cheating figured out, and I'm tempted to take advantage of it rather than risk pissing off a game's worth of union workers by accusing one of cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be a very tight group of people that you have been invited to party with. Don't assume that exposing a cheat is going to fare well for you. You are the outsider here. Don't assume, either, that if you suddenly start beating this game with good play you won't be accused of cheating.

My point is, unless you can join in the spirit of the game, I wouldn't play in it.

And, good luck

--klez
Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 PM

Obviously, it's already been said, but since the thread is still alive, only one piece of advice is relevant. Find a different game, lose this one from your rotation. You're posting on an advanced strategy forum like 2p2, you shouldn't be a consistent participant in a drunken $10 home game anyway.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, it's already been said, but since the thread is still alive, only one piece of advice is relevant. Find a different game, lose this one from your rotation. You're posting on an advanced strategy forum like 2p2, you shouldn't be a consistent participant in a drunken $10 home game anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one isn't even in my rotation, thank god. I was invited to it only recently, and one session with these donks seems to be well more than enough.