Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 01:20 PM

Default I\'m winning too much!

I've been playing in a new home game @ a friends house for a couple months now. We play very small stakes ($20 buyin cash game, 20cent/40cent NLHE), but many people usually end up buying in more than once b/c we're only playing w/ only 40 big bets. We play anywhere between 3 and 7 or 8 handed. I have been there maybe 10 times so far and have won BIG (biggest was over $100 profit...usually around $50-$60)on all but 2 of the times, where I had reletivaly small losses ($15 and $50). My friend (who doesn't go there) keeps telling me me that if I keep winning so much and so often they're gonna stop inviting me. He said I should throw a game or two and just go dump my money. I absolutely refuse to do this b/c I have to much respect for the game in general, and (obviously) I don't wanna loose my money. Have any of you ever been in a similar situation? I play much better than all of them, and there is only one actual "decent" player there. They sometimes mention the fact that I "always" win, but never in an angry way or suggesting that they don't want me back. I'm just worried that if I keep dominating that game they'll stop inviting me for good. One additional thing to note is that on maybe 2 occations I left winner b/c I got lucky on a couple key hands. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: I\'m winning too much!

First off, don't get too high on yourself. This could simply be variance. Secondly, $60 is not a "big" win in this kind of game. $200-$600, yes.

Obviously every game is different and every person is different. Some people would have no problem with you being a consistent winner, others will throw a fit. We can't tell you how the people that you know will react to such a thing.

However, for some general advice, just don't be a jerk about winning. Don't rub it in faces, don't act like your crap don't stink, etc. If this is a drinking game, bring a case of beer or bottle of hooch the week after a decent win.

Be a nice person, humble and modest, and you'll likely have no problems.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, don't get too high on yourself. This could simply be variance. Secondly, $60 is not a "big" win in this kind of game. $200-$600, yes.

Obviously every game is different and every person is different. Some people would have no problem with you being a consistent winner, others will throw a fit. We can't tell you how the people that you know will react to such a thing.

However, for some general advice, just don't be a jerk about winning. Don't rub it in faces, don't act like your crap don't stink, etc. If this is a drinking game, bring a case of beer or bottle of hooch the week after a decent win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I NEVER EVER rub it in their faces...on the contrary I usually point out when I got lucky that they played it well and when I put a bad beat I say "I'm sorry dude". The beer thing is a very good idea, even though it's not a heavy drinking game and I try not to drink even one when I play. Thanks for the advice...and keep it commin guys!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 PM

Just keep playing and having fun. If they are the type not to invite you because you do well, find another game. I would not want to play with them.

If you are that good, you should find another game at higher stakes, anyway! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 05:06 PM

what is all of this gibberish?

BB&V, please
Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 PM

During the course of my poker reading, I had the opportunity to read about Chip Reese. According to everything I have read, he has made a living out of winning a LOT of money from rich people who don't play cards very well. They lose and lose and they keep coming back and keep inviting him to their games. How could this happen you ask. Again, according to what I have read, it is because he is very gracious and humble and fun to play with in general. So have a good time, treat everyone with respect, make some friends and win some of their money. If you ever get the feeling that they are getting tired of you winning too much, the easy solution is to show up with a case of beer or order pizza one of those nights. Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 PM

first post..hey...
I've never been screwed out of the pot...but they stopped inviting me lol (I think)...a little over 2 weeks ago we were playing for 3 weeks about twice a week. I probably win about half of the big games and fairly consistently win the smaller ones while were waiting for people to show up. It was fun while it lasted...

If they were your friends they would have waited to clear up the missing money and whoever didnt put in would fess up. Put it this way, if you see the mmost often at a poker table than hanging out then they are likely not.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't rub it in faces, don't act like your crap don't stink, etc. If this is a drinking game, bring a case of beer or bottle of hooch the week after a decent win.

[/ QUOTE ]
very true!

+don't berate any players if they don't spec. ask about ur opinion on situations or hands!
just don't act like u know everything juz coz u win more then them @ the moment. some players will get better if they are interested.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
During the course of my poker reading, I had the opportunity to read about Chip Reese. According to everything I have read, he has made a living out of winning a LOT of money from rich people who don't play cards very well. They lose and lose and they keep coming back and keep inviting him to their games. How could this happen you ask. Again, according to what I have read, it is because he is very gracious and humble and fun to play with in general. So have a good time, treat everyone with respect, make some friends and win some of their money. If you ever get the feeling that they are getting tired of you winning too much, the easy solution is to show up with a case of beer or order pizza one of those nights. Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pizza is a great idea! never even thought of that.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:10 AM

How many times can new people come on here and make the exact same post?