Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Offical TL:DVD club selection and procedures

Here's a thought. When Marcello first met Paolo at the restaurant where he was trying to write his novel, wasn't it Paolo and her playing the jukebox that prevented Marcello from writing his novel and thus escaping his life as a cheap gossip columnist?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I was the one who said something about Steiner being afraid of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that scene, and for some reason I didn't get the feeling of that deep of a gripping fear of the world. I'll have to watch more closely next time, because I was probably just so shocked at seeing him do that to his family that I couldn't remember it straight.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:29 PM

First I'll say that I identified a lot with Marcello, in terms of being somewhat lost, and more specifically with the Emma situation.

I don't think anyone mentioned the overall "grass is always greener" theme, although it was mentioned as pertaining to Marcello. Many of the characters wish their life circumstances were different. While Marcello wanted to be Steiner, Steiner wasn't happy either. There were several mentions of married life being better than single life and vice versa. Even the innocent blonde girl was homesick and thought her life would be better once she moved.

What was the deal with the father and that woman? Why did he get sick/depressed all of a sudden? Not an impotency thing was it?