Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 04:28 AM

Default I\'ve got fleas!!!!

Oh joy! So, we are dog sitting and about day two, we discover that the damn dog is covered with fleas. In all fairness, I have to interject that the owner may or may not have known about the fleas; we were the second dog sitters, and the owners sister-in-law had watched the dog for the previous 2 weeks. So we immediately run to the store, grab some flea shampoo, and I give the dog about 4 flea baths. We lock her in the bathroom overnight, and in the morning, she seems clean.

I insist that we keep the dog locked in the bathroom for at least a few days, but my stupid (sorry honey) wife has to be all compassionate because the dog is whining and insists that we let the dog out. I check her for fleas (the dog), and she is clean, but I know that means nothing since flea eggs can hang around for awhile. I put my foot down and insist that the dog cannot be released.

So, we let the dog out and here we are two days later and I see the bitch (the dog) scratching. I check her for fleas and sure enough, I see a little one scamper across her chest.

Ugh, any OOT'ers have experience with fleas? What worked/didn't work. I am so pissed off right now. On the one hand, I absolutely believe in helping friends out...on the other hand, I know that I will be paying to clean up a flea infestation for what could turn out to be several months of hell....bleh [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2006, 04:33 AM

Default Re: I\'ve got fleas!!!!

Giving the dog 4 flea baths is probably not good for the dog. Also keeping her in the bathroom won't help that much if she's been around the house, they will still have dropped eggs in the carpet and will re-infest. The eggs take a few days to hatch.

There is a product that I know is made for cats and probably dogs too where you drop a concentrated amount between the animal's shoulder blades and it gets into the bloodstream and makes the skin and fur inhospitable to fleas. Forget what it's called but it's pretty much the industry standard.

With any pest on a major infestation you will get some recurrence, you can put some flea-killing powder in your rug and bedding and vacuum it out / wash all sheets, etc. If you make the animal inhospitable to pests they won't be able to feed anywhere and will die. Also after some treatments nits can still be born but will hatch sterile and die quickly.

NT
Old 06-30-2006, 04:43 AM

Ugh, ty. I will do all of the above.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, ty. I will do all of the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

And make sure you get taken out to a nice dinner by the dog's owner after this is over.

NT
Old 06-30-2006, 06:26 AM

The product you speak of is Frontline and it is very effective.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:00 AM

"Advantage" worked perfectly for my family dog.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:14 AM

Is everybody a 'do it yourselfer' here? For crying out loud, take the dog to a vet for a proper flea bath and treatment and leave it with them if they say to and call an exterminator for your house.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:34 AM

Fleas and ticks are rare in Vegas and I've never had a problem here. But in California I did. The occassional rescued animal off the streets was always covered in fleas.

The best thing I found: Advantage or Frontline gel that you put on the animal's neck once a month. You used to have to get it from your vet but now you can buy it at the pet store. Just buy a short term dose and use it ASAP. Also, get a bug bomb for your house and bomb it now and again after the dog leaves.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:36 AM

OH, and I agree with NT that locking the dog in one room won't really solve the problem. The fleas will still get al over your house and locking the dog up with just make the dog and your wife will be unhappy.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:46 AM

Be careful not to give too much though (in false hopes that a higher dose will REALLY kill the fleas).

Be mindful of their weight.

This stuff does get in their blood-stream and giving them too much can be a bad thing for the pet.

If it's a big dog (you didn't say) then it's probably not a concern.
I'm always aware of this with my cat because she's super-skinny. So I don't want to give my 5-pound cat the full dose that is intended for an 8-10 pound cat.

My sister (a veternarian...and a pretty good one) made me aware of this aspect.

I agrere with bug-bombs for any room you think might be infested. And a thorough vacuuming.

When I took my cat in (was previously a stray) she had big-time flea problems that took a little bit of work.
But after a bug-bomb or two and washing the bedding all was well again.