Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 05:28 PM

Default NOTHING INTERESTS ME...Motivational problem or LIFE problem???

(I'm a long time poster who is obv posting under a gimmick)

Anyone have any advice on what I should do right now...I'm a recent college grad who is about to quit his 2nd job out of college...completely burned out on working, no interest in working/no interest in making lots of money/no interest in starting relationships (friend or romantic), etc...

I'm content with doing absolutely nothing but this is only b/c nothing interests me whatsoever.

I've thought about post-undergrad education...don't know what I would study...I'm sure I would do well but be in the same predicament after I finish with that...

I've thought about joining the military b/c I am somewhat of a sociopath...I really have no emotions and bottle tons of [censored] inside...but physically I don't know if I could handle it...

basically I'm young, very intelligent, have some cash saved (~20K), will be playing poker once I quit my job but not really high stakes, just grinding...I'm just not interesting or interested in anything...the only reason I find poker interesting is b/c it's not very hard to win and it will pay any bills I have in the meantime...

I don't really think I'm depressed b/c I'm out and about and stuff, I just basically don't care about anything...

wtf is going on here???
Old 06-01-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: NOTHING INTERESTS ME...Motivational problem or LIFE problem???

An internet board of psych dilletantes is probably not the place to asking this question. Do some research on "ennui", which is related to but not the same as depression. There may some recent research on sleep disorders and ennui, so if you have unusual sleep patterns (eg you are always screwing with your circadian rhythms that may be a place to start. If you are still in school a trip to the school psychologist would be my suggestion.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:58 PM

Could be burnout. Every grad student that i've known has had the same problem at least once or twice in their grad career.

[ QUOTE ]
I am somewhat of a sociopath...I really have no emotions and bottle tons of [censored] inside..

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems like more of a concern. I agree that you should check in with a school psych.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An internet board of psych dilletantes is probably not the place to asking this question. Do some research on "ennui", which is related to but not the same as depression. There may some recent research on sleep disorders and ennui, so if you have unusual sleep patterns (eg you are always screwing with your circadian rhythms that may be a place to start. If you are still in school a trip to the school psychologist would be my suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point, but my line of thinking is that there are many young poker players here on two plus two many very intelligent...

maybe someone is feeling or has felt the same way at some point...

thats why I thought it was appropriate even though you do not think so

anyway...like I said it's not depression...I've never sufferred from any type of psychological disorder (hell, I have a B.S. in psychology from one of the best schools in the country)

it's merely the fact that I want to work and make money, but I also want to retain my self-respect. But at the same time I guess I’m just not convinced that embracing the institutional foundations for contemporary life is an attitude that lends itself to happiness.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:41 PM

Not being interested in anything is prima facie evidence of a psychological disorder. The only question is: what disorder is it?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:47 PM

fold lifeq
Old 06-02-2006, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold lifeq

[/ QUOTE ]
Not very helpful, but it's funny [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Regards,
Carl
Old 06-02-2006, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point, but my line of thinking is that there are many young poker players here on two plus two many very intelligent...

maybe someone is feeling or has felt the same way at some point...

thats why I thought it was appropriate even though you do not think so

anyway...like I said it's not depression...I've never sufferred from any type of psychological disorder (hell, I have a B.S. in psychology from one of the best schools in the country)

it's merely the fact that I want to work and make money, but I also want to retain my self-respect. But at the same time I guess I’m just not convinced that embracing the institutional foundations for contemporary life is an attitude that lends itself to happiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the question exactly?

Are you content or not?

Are you willing to take steps to change or not?

Old 06-02-2006, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not being interested in anything is prima facie evidence of a psychological disorder. The only question is: what disorder is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apathy, avolition, anhedonia? Sounds like features of depression but also some existential issues woven in there. Its worth seeing someone about.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a B.S. in psychology makes you exempt from depression? Maybe you should have gone to another school for psychology.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's common to come out of school and feel that way. For possibly the first time in your life your beliefs about work ethics are meeting reality. Many people in college have an unrealistic idea of what will happen after they graduate. Your first jobs are going to suck, and pay poorly.