Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Ordering Takeout

Cooking for a family is cheaper but cooking for one/two isn't.

-----

You also have to factor in some sort of cost for being limited in your choices. Unless you go to the grocery store everyday. How am I going to know what I'll feel like having for dinner 3-4 days from today? If I ended up eating something because I had the ingredients on hand when I was actually in the mood for something else that is a suboptimal outcome that should be assigned a monetary value.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cooking for a family is cheaper but cooking for one/two isn't.

-----

You also have to factor in some sort of cost for being limited in your choices. Unless you go to the grocery store everyday. How am I going to know what I'll feel like having for dinner 3-4 days from today? If I ended up eating something because I had the ingredients on hand when I was actually in the mood for something else that is a suboptimal outcome that should be assigned a monetary value.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you have to settle for something available at a takeout place rather than what you really want because they don't sell what you really want? That would be suboptimal.

I hear your point, though. It does take some planning ahead. I would note, though, that there are about 1,000 things I can make myself that you aren't just going to find in a takeout restaurant, and I live in Toronto where the options are vast.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 PM

I cook a lot lately now that I am in a live-in relationship. We enjoy cooking and have gotten pretty good at it, but I don't think it saves us any money vs. takeout. The quality is generally better and it's also healthier than what we would get delivered.

If I still lived alone, I would likely revert to ordering all the time. The time and effort of cooking for one don't pay off, and it's a logistical problem to buy meat and vegetables in small enough amounts.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:40 PM

Buy a thing of tortillas and a package of shredded cheese. It costs around $4 and makes 10 quesadillas, which take about 2 minutes to cook and are impossible to screw up.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:45 PM

Simple meals (steak/potatoes or chicken and steamed vegetables) are definitely cheaper when prepared at home. It's when a lot of ingredients go into a dish that your start up costs outweigh the takeout equivalent cost. But after you buy all the spices, your onions, your herbs...you can make lots more at very cheap.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:47 PM

gf's ftw
Old 11-19-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gf's ftw

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the answer. I credit my girlfriend's cooking with my success in school. Come finals time, everyone else spends a month eating nothing but pizza and takeout. I get home cooked meals every night, lunches prepared. Really means so much more when i can take a 30 minute break from studying to eat a nice salad, some homemade lasagna and meatballs with sauce. Meanwhile, everyone else is taking 20 minutes to shovel down some pizza and get back to work.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Simple meals (steak/potatoes or chicken and steamed vegetables) are definitely cheaper when prepared at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

My GF and I decided to make a roast once. We went and got the meat $24. Potatoes + gravy mix + veggies was another ~$10. So $34 vs $47.50+tip had we gone to Friday's which is a nice upmarket restaurant specializing in prime rib (not the US chain).

When you consider it involved a trip to the butcher and a trip to the grocery store. Over 2 hours of cooking and 20 minutes of cleaning to save $20-23 it works out to selling your time for $4-6/hr
Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Health Valley cereal bar for breakfast/lunch.

Qdoba burrito with half chicken/half steak for dinner.

It balances itself out.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Simple meals (steak/potatoes or chicken and steamed vegetables) are definitely cheaper when prepared at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

My GF and I decided to make a roast once. We went and got the meat $24. Potatoes + gravy mix + veggies was another ~$10. So $34 vs $47.50+tip had we gone to Friday's which is a nice upmarket restaurant specializing in prime rib (not the US chain).

When you consider it involved a trip to the butcher and a trip to the grocery store. Over 2 hours of cooking and 20 minutes of cleaning to save $20-23 it works out to selling your time for $4-6/hr

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, true. I would like to think your roast was a lot larger than what you'd get in the restaurant.

I guess for some, the inconvenience is too high, and they are willing to pay the premium.