Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 02:40 PM

Default 5-10 stud hi lo two baby pairs on 4th vs 3draws.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $1, Bring-In $1.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (5.90 SB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

5th Street - (10.95 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (18.95 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (22.95 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (26.95 BB - $269.50)

Did i play this horrible?
Heres my reason for playing it this way.
The reason for limping this ep was becose it seemed to be no threatning raising hands behind me and all of my outs seemed to be there. And when it got back to my i had real good pot odds, and the raiser is a low chasing spew donk.
Now on 4th im like 90% sure 6&2 are on a low draw, and the last one on a flush draw. But still my hand is very easy drawn out on so should i play it more catious or prize the low draws coz i have the high locked up for the moment, and hope the flush dont get there?
Old 10-29-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: 5-10 stud hi lo two baby pairs on 4th vs 3draws.

This hand is just awful, and I definitely think you should fold 3rd. I understand the temptation of playing it, but playing small pair + baby has only caused me losses. When I changed my game to throw away small pairs I started making a lot more money in stud8.

I honestly don't know how to play 4th street and on.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:14 PM

well, this is definitely a refreshing change from all the hands where people put in ~7 BB too little
Old 10-29-2007, 03:34 PM

Fold 3rd.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:37 PM

yea i know i could fold 3rd, but opening villian is a real big spew, so I had my reasons for calling.
And if I dont hit good on 4th im out of there anyway, but in this hand im very certain where im at in 4th street, so now that i got there how do i play it?

The biggest mistake in Stud h/l
cant be once in awhile calling with a small pair.

I can also say that I will take your advice to heart and call alot less with these hands from here on out.
But in stud I usually have a good read of where im at in a hand, so I sometimes play alittle looser before 5th and out, to try and snatch a big pot here and there.

And please make note that im very very certain that if seat 5 does not make his flush, I will take down 15BB for calling a half a BB on 3rd.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:27 AM

more often then not you will hit a bad 4th
5 low cards are dead. you really have no shot of a straight. you are hoping for a 8....

I see why you would want to play 883 but it is only good in heads up situations. horrible in multi way pots.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 AM

lol @ adanthar.

Third is a little dubious. I would likely play this dog, but you give up little to nothing by folding it, and if you aren't entirely comfortable with the later streets, you're probably better off folding it. And there was nothing comfortable about the rest of this hand.

I think the initial raise on fourth street to try to get it heads-up with the bettor is fine. If you could have reasonably anticipated that everyone would call as they did, then you would have been better off waiting until fifth street. When everyone calls and it's three-bet, I don't like my hand all that much anymore. I certainly wouldn't cap. Two little pair is a trap hand.

The bet on fifth is OK, I s'pose. You're hoping that 764 will raise everyone out and that he doesn't have a straight yet. Fives are completely live, but you can account for a lot of the Eights and Treys, which helps. When everyone still calls, I just call and hope.

By sixth, I'm really starting to wish that I hadn't bloated the pot earlier. I think the pot is big enough that you have to check and call one bet, but you can't like it too much. There's a pretty good chance that you're beaten somewhere, but even if you're not, two or three people are drawing live against your two crappy pair.

I really don't like that the river bet came from the open Kings. Hopefully, he's just made a good low, and no one else has backed into anything. I think you have to call for one more bet.

Is there something wrong with chasing lows?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 AM

Of course there is nothing wrong with chasing a low, but this guy acts as 3 semi lows, and 4 to a low on 4th is the nuts.
And he could easy be drawing to a worse low then the other also hanging in there. And as you say my hand is easy counterfeited, and thats why i played it so hard.
But after 5th i was like okey no one is gonna fold anyway, so i rather just make it to showdown and may hand might very well be good. And as you mention no off my outs are dead.

Its not like I was just betting blind and hoping everything was gonnna work out, I had a thought process to it.
I appreciate the advice guys, im will most likely be posting more in this forum from now one.

And Adanthar i never been accused to get to little BB in a pot, thats for sure.
And can someone tell me what a decent sample size in stud hi lo is? I now have over a 2k sampel a BB over 6/100, but i could just be luckboxing as i have no theory about my stud game, still i feel i have a pretty good edge over the 2-4 - 5-10 games on ftp.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 AM

i like to limp with hands like this, but not when i'm second to act... eights are bad- ad high sha bad low shot and a shot plus bad position. i fold third, failing that, definitly fold fifth to the draws, and on sixth, your two pair is clearly weak to two other high handa, and your low is gone.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:23 PM

I play this hand on third street. It fits my criteria for playing small pairs (eights and treys completely live, no card higher than my pair active in the hand). I don't like the completion, but there I am.

I think I just call on fourth street. Both villains caught low and connected. A single pair is an equity dog against two good lows on fourth street. Two pair is better, but not enough for me to be in love with my hand.

Andy B. is right: bloating the pot early makes it tough to let my hand go on the later streets, when one of the villains pairs kings. As it is, I hate calling on the river, but I hate folding, too.