Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 08:27 PM

Default JJ vs strange line

CO is new to the table, UTG is a loose passive fish, BB has just play a few orbits but seems like pretty loose passive too :

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (16.5SB, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (12.25BB, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ??</font>
Old 10-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: JJ vs strange line

you have to raise here imo even though you might not have the best hand. your hand is very vulnerable against such a large field.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:40 PM

I agree it is an unexpected line by villain. I would just call here even though I'm tempted to raise for value against the two fish. I can't think of any hand you beat that would play like this. Unless CO is super aggressive preflop there are no PP left in his range that you beat. I can't even imagine A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] playing the turn like this
Old 10-28-2007, 10:42 PM

I think you have to raise for protection thinking only an idiot plays his hand like CO, implying worse hands is in his range often enough for you to have something to protect
Old 10-28-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you have to raise for protection thinking only an idiot plays his hand like CO, implying worse hands is in his range often enough for you to have something to protect

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Oink are you betting river if CO just calls. How about a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] river whne checked to.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:59 PM

i'm also curious if oink and others think we should bet a blank river. personally, i would just check it down (or call if he donks again). i would definitely not bet a club river.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:36 PM

Is it worth raising here for a potential free S/D depending upon the river card? If we overcall in this big pot, the 2 fish are probably getting odds to peel whatever awful draw they have.

We might not be ahead here, but we have no read on CO. Many players wouldn't be 3-betting an overpair here and he could also have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or even A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] against the 2 fish, there is probably a wider range he'd be capping pre-flop such as QJs.

I imagine we're behind, but if so I doubt villain thinks he's far enough ahead if we re-raise the turn to make him feel like 3-betting. I suspect we will pay 2 bets to get to S/D if we raise the turn or just call - but we'll improve our equity if we can knock out the fish.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:09 AM

Under normal circumstances I'd call down here but the big pot and the two other guys leads me to raise for protection... I just can't put CO on a hand (this is the reason I always see a showdown against CO unless one of the others spring to life).
Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Under normal circumstances I'd call down here but the big pot and the two other guys leads me to raise for protection... I just can't put CO on a hand (this is the reason I always see a showdown against CO unless one of the others spring to life).

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly!

Carmine.

I am def checking river if its A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or any other A for that matter. I dunno what to do if river is a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I am betting any blank river for value tho.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 AM

100% okay with all Oink said, here is the rest of the hand :

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (12.25BB, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (21.25BB, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>

Ok now I have top set, are you affraid of BB coldcalling with some weird open ended, or KQs like CO could hold ( he seems to be a maniac )?
Or is it an EASY raise ?