Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: NY Times article on Chinese gold farming

This is just surreal:

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody works without a shirt here; quite a few, in fact, wear a standard-issue white polo shirt with the company initials on it. There is also a crimson version of the shirt, reserved for management and worn at all times by the shift supervisor, who, when he isn’t prowling the floor, sits at his desk before a broad white wall emblazoned with foot-high Chinese characters in red that spell: unity, collaboration, integrity, efficiency.

[/ QUOTE ]

A question how much would these guys earn if they were independent and selling there own loot and not just doing it for an hourly wage?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how much would these guys earn if they were independent and selling there own loot and not just doing it for an hourly wage?

[/ QUOTE ]
I imagine there's quite a fixed-cost for these guys. They need a computer, with net access, with a WoW account. If you're making $3/day, that's hard to come by.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how much would these guys earn if they were independent and selling there own loot and not just doing it for an hourly wage?

[/ QUOTE ]
I imagine there's quite a fixed-cost for these guys. They need a computer, with net access, with a WoW account. If you're making $3/day, that's hard to come by.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem is not lack of resources but lack of clients. there are like >100 servers, all of which have 2 factions. the demand for gold is quite large over all servers/factions but very small for just 1 server 1 faction.

so to make real money you must advertise your service and be able to cover many or all servers/factions. so you would need lots of level 70 toons, accounts and farmers
Old 06-22-2007, 03:34 AM

I really can't believe they haven't massively invaded online poker yet. Only a matter of time I suppose.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really can't believe they haven't massively invaded online poker yet. Only a matter of time I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure thats illegal in china
Old 06-24-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post10298242
Old 06-18-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is just surreal:

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody works without a shirt here; quite a few, in fact, wear a standard-issue white polo shirt with the company initials on it. There is also a crimson version of the shirt, reserved for management and worn at all times by the shift supervisor, who, when he isn’t prowling the floor, sits at his desk before a broad white wall emblazoned with foot-high Chinese characters in red that spell: unity, collaboration, integrity, efficiency.

[/ QUOTE ]

A question how much would these guys earn if they were independent and selling there own loot and not just doing it for an hourly wage?

[/ QUOTE ]

A quick look at websites seems like $7/100 gold is average.

Seems like they were making about 25 gold per hour, so thats $1.75/hour in gold.

Then factor in the monthly fee equates to $.50/day, plus computers and internet.