Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 06:09 PM

Default A question for a Pro, Please take the time to answer

I have over 150,000 hands played on 2/4(limit). I WIN "5" Big bets Per 100 hands (total) from positions 1 through 7, and I LOSE "1.35" Big bets from small Blind and LOSE "3.30" Big bets per 100 hands from Big Blind. (AFTER ALL THE RAKE)

As you Can see, i make .35 Big Bets Per 100 Hands played, and that is no where the 2 Big bets per 100 hands that a pro is supposed to make.

My question is this, Am i supposed to be making more money from positions 1-7, or am i supposed to play my blinds better.

For any one who takes the time to answer thank you very very much

(Here is a more precise list of my stats)

Position 6 (under gun) "+ .35" BB/100 hands
Position 5 "+ .40" BB/100 Hands
Position 4 "+ .60" BB/100 Hands
Position 3 "+ .52" BB/100 hands
Position 2 "+ .96" BB/100 Hands
Position 1 "+ .97" BB/100 Hands
Button "+1.17" BB/100 hands
Small Blind "-1.35" BB/100 Hands
Big Blind "-3.30" BB/100 Hands
Old 05-31-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: A question for a Pro, Please take the time to answer

A few random points...

2BB/100 is really good. I mean really really good these days. The average 2+2er probably can't even come closing to winning that much.

150,000 hands is nothing. Maybe you are really a losing player... maybe you are winning at 1.5bb/100. Who knows.

You have to be making a huge mistake in the blinds to be losing that much. Something like playing any two cards in the BB when the pot has been raised. Remember that if you were to fold every single hand in the BB your lossrate would only be -0.50/100.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:08 PM

Niediam, thank you for your reply but what you wrote makes no sense

First of all, i make .35 BB/100 hands total, and not 2.0 like i want to (so im not a losing player, im just not making as much as i would like)

Second of all, if i folded every hand i got in BB i would comoe out -5/100 BB not -.5/100 BB(if the table is 10 handed, but i play at a 9 handed table, so that would actualy be a little bit higher)

If i folded every hand from small blind i would come out -2.5/100 ,

so in the blinds im losing around 4.5/100 BB total instead of 7.5/100 BB total (if i didnt play them at all)
Old 05-31-2007, 07:22 PM

You are right and I'm an idiot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was thinking per hand and not per 100.

So you are doing better than just folding... that is good.

Hopefully a few people will come along soon and let you know how they are doing in the blinds. I'd tell you my stats but it literally takes me twenty minutes to load my PT database. Ug. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyhow, you really don't know if you are a winning player yet. 150,000 just isn't nearly enough hands - especially with a small win rate. There should be some sites out there when you can put in your winrate/SD/#ofhands/confidence interval and it will give you your winrate range.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:43 AM

To say that 150,000 hand is not nearly enough is a stretch. I agree that with such a small winrate he may conceivable be a losing player, but I think we could draw some pretty solid conclusions from the data. In fact, I would go more than 10,000 hands without reviewing where I'm at and whether it suggests a leak or two. He certainly isn't terrible, and could become a solid winner with minor adjustments, right?

The data suggests that he is not winning enough from the hijack,cutoff, and button. That probably means either not stealing enough or more likely, a leak with respect to using position to his advantage.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 PM

well. He's not far off the mark from being a solid winner. Online games are tough. I would consider 2bb/100 impossible in todays online environment. There is just not a lot of dead money on the table. I think .50-1./100 is a more realistic figure. 150,000 hands isn't enough to give you you're exact winrate but what is? It's enough to say for certain that you're a winner. You might be winning slightly more or less, but not enough to make you a loser or even break even. Also at this point table selection is everything. If you want your winrate to go up take the time to find the softest games you can.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:03 PM

Thank you so much for all the replies and advice.

Saying you cant make 2BB/100 online is not all together true, when i was playing 50cent/$1 games I worked my whole bank roll up from there and was making around 2.6 BB/100 hands. I had over 250,000 hands played at that level. Unfortunatly i deleted the whole database to speed up my computer and Poker Tracker when i moved up to 2/4 and since i was making 2+ BB/100 hands i considered my self a pro and didnt bother digging very deep into poker tracker statistics (sigh....). Obviously the games at .5/1 were very soft and easy But if i dont find flaws and leaks in my 2/4 game and fix them it would be more profitable for me to play at .5/1 and i cant make a career out of that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (unless i play 24 tables at a time, lol)

El_Hombre_grande, what would u say is a good winrate from Cutoff and Hijack positions?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you so much for all the replies and advice.

Saying you cant make 2BB/100 online is not all together true, when i was playing 50cent/$1 games I worked my whole bank roll up from there and was making around 2.6 BB/100 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has become tougher though.

[ QUOTE ]
I had over 250,000 hands played at that level. Unfortunatly i deleted the whole database to speed up my computer and Poker Tracker when i moved up to 2/4 and since i was making 2+ BB/100 hands i considered my self a pro

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[ QUOTE ]
and didnt bother digging very deep into poker tracker statistics (sigh....).

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, because you haven't given stats here that are any help in telling how you're going.

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously the games at .5/1 were very soft and easy But if i dont find flaws and leaks in my 2/4 game and fix them it would be more profitable for me to play at .5/1 and i cant make a career out of that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (unless i play 24 tables at a time, lol)

[/ QUOTE ]

What are your basic stats (VPIP/PFR/AF)? What's your stat for blind stealing/defence?

What's your NL game like?

[ QUOTE ]
El_Hombre_grande, what would u say is a good winrate from Cutoff and Hijack positions?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would make more sense to ask whether your game is right in those positions.

What's your VPIP from the CO? How often do you raise?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:47 AM

I agree with drzen. The point is that most of your profits come from the button- hijack, but you can't just look at winrate and conclude anything other than to say what I have-- that I would expect a better winrate in very late position from a winning player. It is very much (I think) too much a function of other issues, such as VPIP, PFR and AF to say much without knowing how your playing. There are many posts on here that go in detail about VPIP, PFR, and AF should look like overall. Simply put, you should be stealing a lot and raising a lot with a wide variety of hands in late position, and then adjusting to the characteristics of your foes from there. Make sure you are playing the right way, and then go from there in terms of winrate.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There should be some sites out there when you can put in your winrate/SD/#ofhands/confidence interval and it will give you your winrate range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, there is.

uDevil's Poker Results Calculator

I'm in the same boat, with a ton of hands and not much of a winrate. I've had to really look in my game for leaks, and I've found some, I'm sure there are others. At this point in the game, there's nothing much more than you can do than make small improvements in your game. There's only a certain amount that *can* be won in any particular game, anyway, and that is dependant on your opponents, and your relative position to those opponents through the course of the deals. Seat selection in tougher games seems to be of prime importance. Also, once the games get tight, you HAVE to start bluffing more often, and recognize +EV bluffing situations. Recommend reading "Book of Bluffs" by Matt Lessinger.