FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should we both play?
Go for it 8 80.00%
No way 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Lazy way to pump gas

[ QUOTE ]
I used to make fun of laws that prohibited automatic pumping or required gas attendants. Then, I drove away from a gas pump with a nozzle still stuck into my car. Fortunately, as I discovered, gas lines feature an auto-breakaway feature for idiots like me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems with this sweet new auto breakaway technology there is little need for laws that prohibit automatic pumping.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
News to me. OP, eff the haters. It's been awhile since I've seen a pump that didn't have the "auto-hold feature or whatever it's called" though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure they've been removing them systematically.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
News to me. OP, eff the haters. It's been awhile since I've seen a pump that didn't have the "auto-hold feature or whatever it's called" though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure they've been removing them systematically.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only in some states, because they are state laws that prohibit them.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
some of you must not drive or you are just dumber than [censored] to not know, even just empirically, that EVEN when you're holding the handle it will stop pumping when the tank is full.

Incidentally the way it stops pumping is there is a smaller tube at the end of the nozzle that sucks air and when the level of gas gets high enough it ends up sucking gas at a much higher pressure thereby shutting off the nozzle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is safe to say that most of us also know, empirically, that the shut off is not foolproof, and that if the nozzle is not fully inserted in the stem, or if the system otherwise does not fuction, then it could come loose and gas could leak all over the place.

If this was only to happen 1 time in 10,000, it still would be a massive safety, enviromental, and liability concern for the gas station and its insurance company.

You have to ask yourself this.... if you were a gas station owner(not a customer) would you want your nozzles attended or unattended for the hundreds of customers you get each day. I think the answer is pretty clear.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:36 PM

I don't know what's more pathetic, the fact that you thought you were so cool for "discovering" this, or the fact that you decided to make a thread about it.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 AM

as a former gas station employee i can assure you all that the auto-shutoff feature malfunctioning and pouring gas all over cars, people, and the ground happens much more often than most people think. i am also fairly certain that wedging something in the handle is far more likely to increase the likelihood of spillage than it is to help it, although it is certainly possible that it has no effect at all (it certainly has less of an effect than pulling up with your gas tank on the wrong side of your SUV and stretching the hose over the top of your truck so that it barely reaches your tank)

i would also like to add that if a gas spill does occur the chances that the gas station employee on duty will care enough to clean it up at all, much less in an environmentally responsible way, is quite low
Old 11-15-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what's more pathetic, the fact that you thought you were so cool for "discovering" this, or the fact that you decided to make a thread about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the first I've heard of it. Of course I live in commieville now so it doesn't really help me.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:24 AM

I haven't done the trick in OP, but I can say that I use the latch thing. I am paranoid and never want to leave it, for fear of it overflowing. Just my [censored] luck. I live in NJ, but I was in NY and I need to pee so I leave the latch on and go to pee. I come back and the gas isn't flowing anymore, but there is a streak of gas down the side of my car and a large puddle under my tire. [censored]! I used the window cleaning stuff to get the gas off my car and I left, never to leave that auto pump on unattended ever again.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:40 AM

I dont think Ive ever used a pump that didnt have the auto feature
Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 AM

never seen a pump without an auto hold.