Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-03-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: OMG the Hoosiers are going to a bowl!

[ QUOTE ]
Its been 14 years since we were whooped by VT in the Independence Bowl.

We've been through 5 coaches since then: 1 retired, 2 fired and 1 expired.

Its been a long time coming. Hell of a year, too bad no one saw it because all the games were on the big ten network. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Purdue fan (along with the Sooners), I am thoroughly disgusted by this! :-)
Old 11-03-2007, 05:37 PM

IU plays NW next week and really needs that one too imo. Especially since it also prevents NW from getting their 6th win.
NW finishes at ILL so if they get eliminated than that helps the Hoosiers. But I think IU would be selected over them anyway.

Iowa can finish with 7 wins if they beat MIN and WMU so they seem like they should make it.

MSU still might not make it though. They are losing to MICH and then finish with PUR and PSU.

So if the Big10 finishes with only 8 teams that are eligible which would mean that NW and MSU don't qualify along with MIN who are already eliminated then that would obviously help IU the most.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 PM

Can someone tell me who was the last team to be bowl eligible and not get invited to play in a Bowl game?

I think I might quit sports if Indiana finises bowl eligible and gets left out of the bowl picture.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:37 PM

I didn't see anyone mention that 3 or possibly 4 spots will be open from BCS at large. Those are harder to predict, however.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:46 PM

beatpurdue - there are usually a couple of 6 win teams every year that don't get invited. They are usually from the MAC or Sun Belt though but also a couple of BCS teams too.

Kent State, Arkansas State, ULL, SMU, PITT and Kansas last year were all 6-6 and all got left out.
Edit - Wyoming, Arizona and Washington State were all eligible and didn't make it also.

That's a lot of teams last year that were eligible and didn't get a bowl bid. I had no idea there were that many.

Then there were the days when it was REALLY tough for a mid-major to get a bowl-bid if they didn't win their conference.
Miami, OH went 10-1 in 1998 including an upset of #11 UNC in the opening week and their only loss coming against undefeated Marshall.
But Miami got left out in the cold...while NC took their 6-5 record out to the Las Vegas Bowl.

Now the MAC has 3 bowl bids so the days of a 10-1 team getting locked out have pretty much passed us by. Although the Sun Belt has only 1 bid I believe so it could still possibly happen in that conference I guess.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:59 AM

Northwestern doesn't travel well, if there are too many bowl eligible teams in the Big 10 NU will need 7 wins, which is why I was crushed they lost today. The last time NU got 6 wins in 2004 they were shut out.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:03 AM

Yes, I agree NW is likely to get left out if they only get 6 wins because there will probably be more attractive 6 win teams from the SEC to fill up any at-large type bids that might be left-over if CUSA and other don't fill their obligation.

In fact, it wouldn't completely surprise me to see them somehow get passed up for a 6 win SEC team even if NW got 7 wins.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone tell me who was the last team to be bowl eligible and not get invited to play in a Bowl game?

I think I might quit sports if Indiana finises bowl eligible and gets left out of the bowl picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way IU doesn't get into a bowl with their 6 wins. They should be able to roll off another one beating either NW or Purdue.

Following Coach Hep's passing, I don't think anything could've been better, short of a Rose Bowl, which was obviously a freaking long shot to begin with.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who the last one was; but I do know seven or eight years ago Ole Miss finished 7-5 and didn't make a bowl because Alabama finished 6-6 and the Independence Bowl chose them because they travel well. If a 7-5 SEC team can get shafted then IU can definitely get stiffed.

I'm pretty sure that the bowls that have tie-ins within the conference have preference in a certain order, at least that's the way the SEC works. That's why IU needs to be lobbying the lower tier Big 10 bowls now.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:20 AM

I believe there is a rule now that a 6-6 team can not be selected over a 7-5 team for an at large spot. So a 7th win is huge.