Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Question About \"BOW\" in Gordon\'s Little Green Book

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the BOW system and where do I find a better explanation?

[/ QUOTE ]
Read the book.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read the book. You say his explanation is incorrect. I have looked for a differing explanation. I found nothing but smartass answers. If there is a discussion of why Gordon's explanation in incorrect and what the correct explanation is I'd really like to find it.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:38 PM

Take it easy, buddy. I never commented about the explanation being right, wrong, or otherwise. I also was not trying to be a "smartass" about it. You didn't state in your post that you've read the book. I think if you look back at the vagueness of that post you'll see how it may have been misinterpreted.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:43 PM

I am taking it easy buddy. I'm referring to the thread where xxx posts "The consensus in the forum is that Gordon misexplains it (misunderstands it?) in LGB, so using the strategy 'as-is' will spew chips." When CTUagent asks, "So if the BOW system is explained incorrectly, how is BOW's strategy really supposed to work?" He is met with the smart ass reply from Maurile "Just bet a lot. That's really all there is to it. I'm surprised more people don't do it."

So it would appear that there is some forum where Gordon's explanation is being debated as incorrect but no one seems interested in either explaining or directing to that forum.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:40 PM

I hate not being able to talk to you guys in person. Thought that was a direct reply to me. My bad. No harm done. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2006, 01:20 AM

I'd be interested in reading about this too. Tried search function but didn't find anything. Does anyone know the thread that discusses this strategy? Thank you.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:16 AM

I have been reading this forum regularly since before LGB was published, and I have never seen a serious discussion of how BOW (should) work.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if the BOW system is explained incorrectly, how is BOW's strategy really supposed to work?

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that everyone who posts here asking about BOW is looking for a magic bullet, an ABC system that says, "If X, then Y".

There is no such magic system. What Gordon appears to be describing is a strategy of identifying when you have an edge based on knowledge of opponents, probability, estimated equity (especially fold equity), etc., and massively leveraging a small edge with huge bets.

Don't try this at home.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:46 AM

Hi ptmusic:

I believe there was discussion on the No Limit forums.

One thing for sure. The Gordon analysis of how BOW actually plays is confused. In addition, others who are familiar with the play of BOW said that it was far more complex than what Gordon described.

best wishes,
mason
Old 09-06-2006, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Gordon analysis of how BOW actually plays is confused. In addition, others who are familiar with the play of BOW said that it was far more complex than what Gordon described.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Mason says here, Gordon is trying, not well, to describe how a particular winning and often unorthodox player plays. Gordon is not talking about a "system" or a formal (or formulaic) "strategy", which is apparently what most here are looking for.

The way that BOW, aka Mahatma, plays is highly dependent on reads and situations. It will not work at lower level games against internet rocks, LAGs, and calling stations.

For those really interested, start here. For a more in-depth discussion, read the thread linked toward the end of that thread. These threads will not teach you how to beat low limit NLHE. They will give you an insight into going beyond level 1 thinking and into situation-dependent strategy.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:09 AM

Default bow method, vs kill phil post flop method.

after reading kill phil, and thinking about the post flop strategy,, it seems to me to be an awful lot like the bow method in little green book, do you think so?.

phil gordon says the bow method user doesn't play the same in tourments games of course, but kill phil seems to be what would happen if the bow techique was used in the tourments.

what do you think?