Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 PM

Default Re: How do I combat light re-raises?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
call, let him cbet, shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

i haaaaaaaaaate it when people do this to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a couple of select way too overaggro guys at 5-10 on stars that 3bet with an enormous range that i do this to constantly. they still never learn. its such an easy way to exploit them and its definitly a +$ move longterm.

its so much better than 4betting preflop as that lets them away too cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]
What hands do you call with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Put him on a range, react.
Play poker.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:36 PM

to be honest it doesn't really matter what you call with as you're intention is for him to fold after his cbet. if he calls your shove he probably has the goods this time around. having said that hands like KQ, QJ, QT etc and especially any Ax are a good starting point because at least you might have some outs if he decides to call.

Ax is prob the best hand to do this with as you're only crushed by AA - its also fun to suck out on him when he does show up with KK and you spike a A on the river and get labeled as a total donkey. it can be great for your image, especially if you play a TAG game preflop generally.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:41 PM

actually now that i'm thinking about this play i realise its sort of a weird extension of a stop-n-go play. you get his cbet but you're essentially pushing any flop
Old 04-12-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
never raise

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 04-13-2007, 01:36 AM

I like to min 4 bet light. Also calling then c/ring with good hands that miss is good too.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to min 4 bet light.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously? i don't think i've ever seen a decent reg do that.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:07 AM

I usually 4-bet light, but I like the idea of calling his 3 bet and raise AI on a lot of flops.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then 4bet all in on him lighter preflop or tighten up ur original raising range, so that you are willing to shove it in if he reraises (TT, AQ+ only)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 PM

i recently made my move up to 400nl and noticed this kind of light 3-betting from a lot of regs. At first I just avoided them and folded to them unless i had a hand to push back. Perhaps this seems nitty but the idea of battling the regs for marginal +ev just doesnt seem justified.

then i started playing back at them and incorporated some if their style in my game. well... my game kinda went outta wack to tell you the truth. You end up playing a lot of coinflips with hands as marginal as 1010, JJ, AQetc. In a way even AK is marginal considering when you are all in prelfop you are usually 50-50 or worse.

I think the proper adjustment, atleast for me, was to play my usual tight aggressive position based poker and once in a while ( not often), tell the regular to step off me by 4-betting something like 6-2 suited.

FWIW, I think 3-betting light, especially from the blinds, is a negative equity play because it bloats a pot needlessly prelfop with marginal holdings. Ofcourse it's good to have variation ofcourse and you do not want anyone to think you only 3-bet Aces and Kings. But it's balance / frequency that's important. btw I like to 3-bet with hands like 8-9 suited and 3-3 so that its easy for me to fold postlfop if i miss and easy to fold to a 4-bet / push.

Overall, my coping strategy is t play nit poker lol.
(I run at 21 / 11)
Old 04-14-2007, 04:21 PM

call with hands that will have good equity on a lot of flops, then shove over cbet some, float some, have the best hand some. Four bet light less than shove, mostly with monsters and junk; four bet light shove, mostly with monsters and hands with good allin equity, i.e. Ax. Tighten open raise range so you have them crushed a little more often. When you raise with them still to act, already know what you're doing if they 3bet. There's no one answer. A little from column a, a little from column b, etc, knowing the options isn't nearly as important as doing them with the correct frequencies.

Have good timing.