Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 08:03 PM

Default bankroll gone in 1 hour, what now

i have found it extremely difficult to grind it out in lower limits in the past, however, a few weeks ago i bought poker tracker and it made me realise how much i was dumping playing like a donk. i started playing lower limits and won $600 in three weeks. today i sat down thinking it would just be business as usual, but i lost buy in after buy in and eventually went on severe tilt, moved up, and to be fair, played well and when i flopped bottom set and the other guy flopped top set, busted.

i have $100 left in my account now so im not entirely busted, but im just dreading going back and grinding it out again, not sure whether i will have the same determination as i did during the last three weeks.

saying this though, it was only moments ago when i had this blow up, so tomorrow morning i hope my feelings are different.

does anybody else suffer from these blow ups and how can they be stopped?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: bankroll gone in 1 hour, what now

Yes! I lost 3k yesterday at $10/$20 hu and im a $100, $200 player, lucky i crush those limits and have plenty left. iv been doing this sh**t for 3 years now and its costing me $$$$$$$
Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 PM

The next time you consider playing above your head just think of how you feel right now. If it's really that hard to walk away before retard-tilt kicks in you may have a gambling problem. And BTW, the fact that you 'played well' above your head is hardly a virtue; you shouldn't have been there to begin with.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 PM

i agree, grinding at lower limits totally sucks...

but the folks above me are there for a reason:
they've paid their dues...
they know what they're doing...
and they're better bankrolled than me.

oh sure, there may be some fish up there...
but the predators are much bigger.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:10 PM

im pretty sure u play with less than 10BIs. You lose 2 buyins and go on monkey tilt. You then proceed to play higher limits to get unstuck or busto. Its aa viciuos cycle you must break. Would you rather keep playing poker to build a roll or feel the rush of winning/losing pots u cant afford to lose? MAKE UP YOUR MIND.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i have $100 left in my account now so im not entirely busted, but im just dreading going back and grinding it out again, not sure whether i will have the same determination as i did during the last three weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a break from poker. The best thing you can do when you feel like this is to stop playing for a while, do something else instead and go back when you've cleared your head. Otherwise you'll be dreading every decision you make, go on tilt, which leads to super tilt, which then leads to ultra mega tilt, etc.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:05 PM

As a fair warning - you don't ever stop grinding as long as you are playing 'serious' poker.

If that isn't attractive to you, I'd suggest either accepting that you are playing poker purely recreationally, or stop playing.

I also agree with taking time away - don't play because you think you have to (its not your job!), play when you want to have fun by playing poker, not until then.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:02 PM

I usually play 4/8 live, was up about 700 bucks in the last four days of play alone, took a shot at 8/16 and took it up the ass. Back to 4/8. it sucks but if you learn from it is a good experience.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 PM

There is nothing more important in poker than bankroll management. None. No cash - No chips - No play. See how that works?

So you bought PT and then learned you "donked off" money. Did you actually learn anything? I built a bankroll to where I could take a few shots at 5/10. Got my butt kicked "playing well". Moved back to 3/6 then finally on back to .25/.50 to rebuild - and to relearn. Because you don't dump a bankroll "playing well". If you do, are or have, you're not bankrolled properly for that particular game/limit. Make sense?

Pay your dues. If you're good and are "playing well" you'll gravitate up the limits. If not, you'll continue to make posts about how you're "playing well" and only have a $100 left in your poker funds.

Play within your bankroll and move up when it's right to do so. Take a shot from time to time at the next limit up, but don't take bad beats, or donkey off your money.

Do it right.

EN
Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 AM

thanks for the replies guys. i havnt played since i made this post. think im going to leave it a week or so. because i know now that all i will think about is the fact i lost so much in 1 hour.

alot of the things that have been said i know are 100% true and i appreciate the advice. i think what i need is a reminder that these things can happen because when i had went on that 3 weeks winning streak i felt like i could not possibly bust. so i have took a screen dump of my PT and im going to put it as my wallpaper so i know that i can blow up! lol.

thanks.