Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 11-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Stud and Ante on the button.

In a local Home game we play a 3 game mixed rotation. The Stud-8 is played with a $1 ante with the button (Used just to tell what hand number we are on) paying for all players (8 players, button puts out $8) We find this speeds things along instead of playing "Who hasn't anted yet" Now here is the situation.

2 seat pays the $8 for his round of antes. and goes broke that hand. Since he has payed for a full round of antes should he be allowed to play the remainder of the round "All-in" for the $8 each hand.What if he has to bring in? Is there a rule to deal with a player who has just enough to cover the ante?

I know the host can rule anything he likes, but I would like to have a half way decent rebuttal should this ever happen.(It always seems to happen to the guy who has not yet posted his round of antes)
Old 11-28-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Stud and Ante on the button.

Think of the dealer ante as covering your ante obligation for the previous orbit not the one upcoming.

In Stud, you cannot be all-in for the ante. You need at least an ante and a bring-in.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Also, I'd shut down anyone who pulled the "oh, it's my button? Time to go home" routine.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 seat pays the $8 for his round of antes. and goes broke that hand. Since he has paid for a full round of antes should he be allowed to play the remainder of the round "All-in" for the $8 each hand.What if he has to bring in?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he can't.

Typically, the minimum rebuy in b&M card rooms is 5BB. That's how this situation should be handled.