Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-12-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: 1k Prop bet help...

I think the problem he mentions is the limited number of buy-ins so getting to the table with a smaller stack should be possible. What OP doesn't mention is his experience playing poker up to now. He has to be able to beat that level. but given the basic advice here it should be beatable...

(If you can rebuy your initial 20$ you can start with 100BB i wouldn't advise 5$ buy-in if you aren't experienced. It's tougher to play, even at this level (even though I've never played "down there")
Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 AM

Keep the list updated, this should be fun. Here's a thread from Jan. '07 where Nate turns $5 into $1,000 in 7 days. A lot different than your situation but a great read nonetheless.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rt=all&vc=1
Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 AM

Well I wasn't going to update this until I got to 5k hands on the first level, only started this a few days ago and because I work full time I havent been able to play much but made a great start. As it has been bumped with some new advice ill post my first few screenies.

I know I have played nealry 2k hands at 2c/5c but that was last weekend before I started this and he said it could count towards it aslong as I didnt play anymore until I have done my 10k hands at 1c/2c. I happily agreed as this has made my bankroll double to start with. Im still only buying in with $2 though as I know I can beat this level now so just trying to rack in the hands as quickly as I can without losing focus.

As Germanguy said I didnt say my previous expericane with poker, I have been playing offline now for about 4 - 5 years and have been a consistant winner, nothing much and only down the local pub but my results were consistant. About 12 months ago when I turned 18 I deposited on ladbrokes, ran it up a bit then blew it at the higher levels. done this for about the next 6 months on different sites then found 2+2. had a break online for about a month and focused on reading these baords and Harrington 1,2 + 3.

Came back online and after reading posts on here brought PokerTrracker/PAHud and all the other bits and bobs. Signed up with PS about 3 months ago (I think)and deposited my first $50, all I have been doing is playing SNG's which sharkscope says im around $350 up and low limit cash games. I used to get to big for my boots and play $1/$2 limit but I soon realised if I grind at the lower limts I can eventually play these with hard work.

I think thats about it.

Any advice on my play so far, I know its a very small sample but is anything looking bad at these limits?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 01:51 PM

Excellent progress!
I'd like someone more advanced to back me up on this, but I'd say blind steal more.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] My friend who is a mid stakes player on stars has offered me a win/no lose prop bet. The bet is I must start with $20 and start at 1c/2c, then 2c/5c then finally 5c/10c. I must play NLHE and at least 15k hands at each level with a + bb/100. Also I must have 10x buy in for the next level before moving up. If I can do this he is offering me a 1k bankroll to play 25c/50c with no strings attatched and some coaching ( He plays 200 - 400 NL on Stars)

Your story doesn't jive...
Old 11-13-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like someone more advanced to back me up on this, but I'd say blind steal more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easier said than done @ 2NL.

Attempting to steal too much can turn into a huge leak at those levels cause you'll find nobody really folds preflop. Ever. And then- whoops, you have 6 J offsuit in a 4-way pot.

Not fun.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] My friend who is a mid stakes player on stars has offered me a win/no lose prop bet. The bet is I must start with $20 and start at 1c/2c, then 2c/5c then finally 5c/10c. I must play NLHE and at least 15k hands at each level with a + bb/100. Also I must have 10x buy in for the next level before moving up. If I can do this he is offering me a 1k bankroll to play 25c/50c with no strings attatched and some coaching ( He plays 200 - 400 NL on Stars)

Your story doesn't jive...

[/ QUOTE ]

You trying to say Im lying?

I know Im not a high roller by any means but why would I play 15k hands at 2NL if I am rolled for 10NL.

If u mean 200 - 400NL is not Mid stakes then fine, but it is mid stakes to me.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:06 PM

I think the critic is mistaking 200 - 400 NL on Stars for $200-400, not the conventional $2-4 x 100BB...
Yes, $2-4 is mid stakes IMHO.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the critic is mistaking 200 - 400 NL on Stars for $200-400, not the conventional $2-4 x 100BB...
Yes, $2-4 is mid stakes IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

15k hands at each level would be mind-numbing. If someone challenged me today to do it and made the prop bet worth my while (and that would need to be a hefty sum), then...

I'd max out the number of tables I could and just fold everything but the top x% of hands, which I'd shove, or some variant of that. Mind you, this is just to win the prop bet, with no regard for improving my game or learning anything.